Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Monday, December 21, 2009 :~:

30 Days of Treasure Hunting! - DAY 6 - Christy Evans!


Today we have Berkley Prime Crime author Christy Evans on the blog!

In her secret identity as Christy Evans, Christina F. York writes mystery. She has other names for other genres, too. She blames it on being a Gemini - one persona is never enough for this girl! Born in Oregon, raised is LA, Chris now spends her days in an office with a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. Married to fellow writer J. Steven York, she lives within a stone's throw of the rugged Oregon coastline. SINK TRAP is her first mystery, and her 10th published novel. You can reach Chris at www.yorkwriters.com, or on her mystery blog at http://christy-evans-mystery.blogspot.com/

Christy's most recent release is Sink Trap:

When Georgiana Neverall's hectic high-tech lifestyle goes down the drain, she dumps it all and heads back to Oregon and a change of career - she becomes an apprentice plumber. When she finds a distinctive brooch lodged in a drainpipe, she's convinced there's more to the problem than a stopped-up drain. Now it's up to this plumber's apprentice to flush out a killer.

Christy is giving away a pair of hand-knit fingerless gloves to one lucky commenter today. Just the thing to keep your hands warm while reading, typing, etc. To enter her drawing, simply answer this question: What is the title of the second book in the Lady Plumber mystery series, and when is it due out?

Welcome, Christy!

***
Can we talk? I’ll start!

When I sat down to write SINK TRAP, I knew a little bit about Georgiana Neverall. I knew she was an apprentice plumber, I knew she had a troublesome relationship with her mother, I knew she had owned a high-tech company and that it had ended badly.
What I didn’t know was that I was setting out to write about the changing roles of women in the workplace and the world – but I was.

Georgie is, for me, the epitome of the modern woman: smart, capable of taking care of herself, and not hampered by last-century notions of what roles are acceptable for women. By way of contrast, her mother Sandra embodied all those notions, yet was forced to break the conventions she cherished.

Sandra, raised in a small town where change comes slowly, truly believes in the mid-century model of stay-at-home-mom and devoted wife. Her daughter has a different worldview, and her determination to follow her own compass alternately irritates and baffles her mother.

For Sandra work is a practical necessity, but at the end of the day she still gets her greatest fulfillment from catering to the man in her life. Georgiana isn’t sure she wants a man in her life – bad experiences have made her cautious – but she derives immense satisfaction from her work.

That was one of the delights of writing this book and the two that follow: exploring the relationship between these two women, bound by blood and love, separated by the yawning chasm of expectations.

I am clearly a fan of strong, independent women. After writing two books in the ALIAS series featuring Syndey Bristow, one of the original “kick-ass” heroines, I find myself cheering for any heroine who can do “a man’s job” with style. (Or, like Ginger Rogers, backwards and in high heels.)

But I would love to know how readers feel. Do you like to read about a female character doing an unusual job? Or do you prefer your heroines a bit more on the traditional side? Is a non-traditional job an interesting character trait, or merely a distraction? Or does it even matter to the modern reader?

Your turn – tell me what you think!

Labels:

18Comments:

Blogger Zita said...

I do like heroines in non-traditional jobs, like plumbers or carpenters. For me, women have been cops and detectives and soldiers long enough I no longer see them as non-traditional, even if they are still male dominated.

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Leann Sweeney said...

I just love heroines, period. Strong women populate the planet and I adore reading female protagonists. Why not a plumber? We can do anything. :-)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Julie Hyzy said...

I love reading about women who kick butt... *especially* in non-traditional roles. Christy Evans has a wonderful heroine here. Go, Georgiana!
;-)
Julie

12:28 PM  
Blogger robynl said...

Lead-Pipe Cinch (A GEORGIANA NEVERALL MYSTERY) by Christy Evans (Paperback - April 6, 2010)

I like the strong woman heroine too as well as the more silent type. It is a change to read about the strong woman.
I used to be a manager of a 16 suite apartment block and had to deal with plumbing issues.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Mary Jane Maffini said...

I too love heroines in non -traditional jobs and even more when they are non-traditional thinkers and doers. Maybe because I grew up at time when girls were told they could be secretaries, nurses or teachers and don't expect to keep[ those jobs once you're married. I am always keen to read how women can handle themselves with flair and wit in new situations. Speaking of: really looking forward to Sink Trap!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Since Rich Trethewey is my favorite fix-it guy on This Old House, it sounds like Sink Trap is just up my alley! I'll definitely have to check it out.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi :)
Thank you for sharing here today. I love women heroines in "untraditional" jobs. Patricia Briggs' heroine Mercy is a mechanic.
:)
Merry Christmas!
PS - Answer is: LEAD PIPE CINCH comes out in April.
:)

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I like reading books about heroines with nontraditional jobs like a mechanic, pilot or firefighter. The second book in the Lady Plumber mystery series "Lead-Pipe Cinch."

1:45 PM  
Blogger robinky42 said...

Sounds like a great new series, have to check it out. The answer is
Lead-Pipe Cinch - April 6, 2010.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Sherry said...

I love reading books where the heroine has a non-traditional job like a plumber and construction worker I like a strong heroine as long as she is still feminine.
Answer: Lead-Pipe Cinch April 6, 2010.

3:32 PM  
Blogger The Scarf Princess said...

I like when they have exciting jobs, like a race car driver or stuntwoman. It makes for more interesting reading.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Hey Christy/Christina, I'm so glad you're here with us!!

Okay, I have to comment on this one because it is Twilight Zone freaky. While my mother is NOT a plumber (and never has been), she DOES live in Oregon, her name IS Georgiana and for years she had Airedale Terriers, just like the one on the cover of your book! Is that weird or what?!

And for the record, I LOVE kick-ass heroines. ;) Keep writing them!!

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Cleo Coyle said...

Great question. I really enjoyed reading everyone's replies, too. As for me, I enjoy both. Strong women in non-traditional jobs always make fascinating reading, and I think you're exploring a really fresh idea with Georgiana as a plumber. I also believe being a traditional mom is still one of the most trying and challenging jobs on Earth.

(Elisabeth's post above mine is hilarious - so many things in common it's spooky!)

:)

~Cleo Coyle

6:17 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Christy, fun to see you here. I read the book and enjoyed it! Can't wait to see what other trouble Georgiana gets into.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

About your question... look at the titles of my western historicals- Marshal in Petticoats, Outlaw in Petticoats, Miner in Petticoats and soon to be Doctor in Petticoats- Yeah, I kind of like women in men's jobs and showing they can handle it as well as a man. LOL

I think that's why I enjoyed SINK TRAP so much.

7:36 PM  
Blogger host said...

Answer: LEAD PIPE CINCH comes out in April.

I can't say if I love traditional heroines more or those untraditional. What matters the most is how well they are written and if their choices make sense to me :)

1:01 AM  
Blogger SiNn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:20 PM  
Blogger SiNn said...

i like traditional heroines but i love odd jobs for them too it all just depends on the story really I love Women in roles that socieity deems only mans work


the answer to the question is

LEAD PIPE CINCH comes out in April

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com