Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Saturday, August 15, 2009 :~:

Final Freebie Guest Author - Emily Bryan!!

Today is your LAST day to enter my STOLEN HEAT Release Contest! I'll be taking entries up through 11:59 PST tonight! Don't miss out!

stolen heat
enter contest
share image
buy book
elisabeth naughton
Today's final freebie guest author is Emily Bryan!

Award-winning author Emily Bryan learned much of what she knows about writing from singing. A classically trained soprano, she gleaned the elements of storytelling while performing operatic roles. She and her husband have lived in nine different states, but she now makes her home in the heart of New England. Emily is available for signings, readings and writing workshops. To schedule events or for more info, please visit www.emilybryan.com

Daisy Drake is leading a double life!

Daisy Drake never quite got over her childhood fascination with Lucian. Now that he's Viscount Rutland, she won't rest till she helps him find the Roman treasure he seeks. Whether he wants her help, or not!
By day, she's Lucian Beaumont's unwanted assistant. By night, she masquerades as the French courtesan Blanche La Tour, giving Lucian lessons in love. She needs to keep reading the real Blanche's very explicit memoirs if she has any hope of VEXING THE VISCOUNT!

A refreshingly unconventional hero and heroine, an intriguingly different historical setting, and a surfeit of sizzling sexual chemistry all fall neatly into place in Bryan's latest splendidly sexy romance.”
—Booklist

I’ve called Emily the queen of the first lines because they always made me smile and I'm eager to see what will follow as the story unfolds. This book is no exception….The adventure of a treasure hunt combined with the sensual teachings of a courtesan seen though innocent eyes, make this historical something to smile about.
—Barbara Vey, Publishers Weekly

Please welcome Emily Bryan!

***

1) What kind of books do you love to read and how do those stories impact your own writing?
I love to read sweeping epics. If a book can double as a doorstop, it probably has a place on my keeper shelf. I adore THE FAR PAVILIONS by MM Kaye, the Merlin trilogy by Mary Stewart, and just to toss in a classic, LES MISERABLES by Victor Hugo.
So what do those books have to do with the light-hearted, sexy romps I write? Not a thing. Except for their splendid characterization. One of my goals is to create characters who breathe on their own. When a reader finishes my story, I want them to be able to imagine my hero and heroine still off having adventures all by themselves.

2) What are you working on presently? What about upcoming releases?
I’m hard at work on STROKE OF GENIUS, my summer 2010 release. It’s the story of Grace Makepeace, a Bostonian heiress who’s trying to snag a titled husband. Since she’s more at home in a library than a ballroom, she’s not likely to succeed. Until my hero, Crispin Hawke, a brilliant but cynical sculptor, steps in to make her fashionable. When she garners the attentions of a duke, Crispin begins to wish he’d been less brilliant at arranging Grace’s transformation. It’s a twist on the old Pygmalion myth—the one where the sculptor falls in love with his own creation—but Grace is not as malleable as marble!

Oh, and I have good tidings of romantic joy! I have a holiday anthology coming out September 29th this year. USA Today Bestseller Jennifer Ashley, Alissa Johnson and I have teamed up to bring readers A CHRISTMAS BALL. The characters in all our stories will be attending the same grand event (even though a few of mine do not have invitations!). But YOU are definitely on the guest list. Please visit www.emilybryan.com to try an excerpt.

3) What’s the best compliment you ever got on your writing or book(s)?
“You kept me up all night.” is hand’s down the nicest thing a reader has ever told me. The best thing I’ve ever heard from another writer was, “You make me forget I’m a writer, too.”

4) What’s your writing schedule like?
I’m blessed to be able to write full-time now. I fiddle with my blog and emails till about 9 AM, then I turn on my writing music and get to work. I like to pick an instrumental movie soundtrack to write my stories to because there are no lyrics to distract me and a soundtrack covers a wide range of emotions. Plus when revisions come back, the music will put me right back into the world of my story. It’s like an autonomic response.

I break at noon for lunch and watch something on HG TV (I’m fascinated by people doing clever things with their interior design, but am quite satisfied with my white walls, thank you.) Then I head back to the world of my story. I aim for 10 pages a day. When I hit a wall, I spend 30 minutes on the treadmill, walk the dogs, or (as a last resort) do housework till the scene becomes clear in my mind. When my DH comes home from work, I’m home from work, too.

When I first started writing, I had a 40 hour a week day job as a banker. My DH says I enslaved people to debt by day and lust by night! Back then my page goal was 2 a day during the week. I’d jot down a couple paragraphs while I waited for my teammate to open the bank with me in the morning. I’d think about the scene I was working on if I got a minute during the day and after supper, I’d park myself in front of the computer and I couldn’t get up until I finished the 2 pages. On Saturday, my DH would clean and do laundry so I could write 10 pages, and on Sunday, I did 5. In this manner, I finished a 400 page manuscript every 4 months. It’s grueling, but totally doable.

5) If you could be one character from any book you’re read or written who would it be and why?
My goodness, I can’t limit it to just one. I’m like Ben Affleck in Shakespeare in Love when he bursts back into the theatre with a flourish of his cape. “Silence, you dog!” he says. “I am Hieronimo. I am Tamburlaine. I am Faustus. I am Barabbas, the Jew of Malta. Oh, yes Master Will, I am Henry the Sixth. What is the play and what is my part?”

I am every character I’ve ever written or read. We read to try on other people’s lives, to experience their triumphs and failures. Sorry, Elisabeth. I could never pick just one.

Thanks so much for having me here today. I’d like to offer a copy of VEXING THE VISCOUNT to someone who leaves a comment or question for me. Let me kick off the discussion by asking your readers a question.

Do you prefer alpha heroes or beta heroes?

Labels: ,

47Comments:

Blogger ann alba said...

Hello Emily & Elizabeth wonderful Interview, My Emily you are driven 10 pages a day wow.
I love the choice of music when I read I do the same thing though I rock back & forth with my Enya music ( The Celt) being my favorite.
I do enjoy an Alpha male there ARE many to choose from I too don't think I could pick 1 Well I could but it would not be fair to ALL THE OTHERS ;-}
Have A wonderful Day Ladies & enjoy the weekend. Cant wait to read the book.
Psst Elizabeth Talked to the book rep that come's into the store I work in gave her a list of Authors to ask for including your new release It should be there next week......yeah doing a jig!
A

4:49 AM  
Blogger Glynis Peters said...

What an interesting interview. It is so nice to learn more about an author.I enjoyed my visit, thanks.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Amy M said...

A very nice interview! It is always fun to hear about new authors!

In reponse to your question, I will take an alpha hero any day!!!

Thanks
Amy M

5:36 AM  
Blogger Karen H said...

Love your work Emily. Looking forward to more from you soon.

6:21 AM  
Blogger TAMARA said...

Hi Emily and Elisabeth. I definitely prefer an Alpha character! I can't think of one good reason for me to read about a Beta character. :) Have a great weekend!!

8:31 AM  
Blogger The Scarf Princess said...

Thanks for joining us with a great interview! And in answer to your question, I love alphas.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Blodeuedd said...

I am a alpha girl...well ok both, but today I am in an alpha mood. just finished a book with a yummy alpha hero and he had me at hello ;)

9:43 AM  
Blogger Refhater said...

Hello Emily, Loved Vexing the Viscount!

As for the Alpha vs Beta heros, it depends on the guy and the situation.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Heather D said...

Hi Emily and Elisabeth.

Of course I prefer the Alpha Hero, there is just something about that strong and domineering man who shows how soft and cuddly he really is. I am drawn to them!!!

Please don't enter me in your drawing, I already have Vexing a Viscount. It was a totally awesome read!! I just wanted to stop by and show my support!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Zita said...

Wow, I have to agree with Refhater on this one. It really depends on the guy. There are some alphas that are ALPHA, and you want to smack them more than anything else. And there are some Betas who are really delicious. Just look at Laurell Hamilton's Anita Blake series to meet a few :-).

12:04 PM  
Blogger lrhubble said...

I absolutely love alpha hero. :-)

Yum


Larena

1:04 PM  
Blogger Booklover1335 said...

Hi Emily & Elizabeth,
I am an alpha hero lover all of the way!!! Beta heros are ok especially in real life, but I can't think of one romance novel with a beta hero that captured my interest...hence not being able to think of one.
Loved the interview, and love that you put a little bit of yourself into the characters that you write. Must be why they are so compelling. Also Read the excerpt to your new short story in a Christmas Ball and can't wait to read it, it's going on my TBB list right now :)

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kainani said...

Either or for me. As long as he's sexy, hunky and to drool for, I'm game. LOL!

3:06 PM  
Blogger robynl said...

hi and welcome Emily; I like Beta heroes with some Alpha in them or Alpha heroes watered down somewhat.

3:40 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Alba, I push for the 10 pages because I always like to finish my manuscript with about a month to spare. I always need to lay it aside for a couple weeks before I return to it for final self-edits. If I haven't looked at it in a while, I see the problems more clearly.

5:10 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Glynis, thanks so much for dropping by!

5:11 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Amy, me2. I love for men to be men. Alphas are my inspiration.

5:12 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Karen, Thanks so much for those kind words. I'm excited about A CHRISTMAS BALL coming out, too.

5:13 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Tamara, I too enjoy an alpha hero best, but my critique partner loves beta males. She says they are more sensitive to their women's needs and are more willing to consider other points of view.

Give me an alpha who's always right!

5:15 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Joder-Chalk another one up for the alpha! There is something so attractive about confident males who'll take the lead. Thanks for weighing in!

5:17 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Blodeuedd--Hi again. Thanks for sharing your love of alphas. I always think of the line from ICE AGE, "The sensitive ones always get eaten."

5:20 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Ah, Refhater, thanks so much. I'm so glad you enjoyed VEXING THE VISCOUNT.

Re: situational alpha/beta

I think it's cool when alphas show their furry, soft underbellies and it's always exciting when a beta finds a spine and digs in his heels.

5:23 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Heather, I always appreciate your support!

5:23 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Zita, thanks for weighing in on the alpha/beta debate.

True, alphas can be arrogant and irritating. And betas can be indecisive, but every characteristic can be turned into a strength or a weakness depending on the situation.

5:26 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Irwirum, thanks for stopping by!

5:27 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Booklover, I don't think I can come up with a memorable beta either.

Thanks for checking out the A CHRISTMAS BALL excerpt. This was such a fun story to write. And thank you for putting it on your TBB list. Hope you love it!

5:30 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Kainani--Hunkiness is a wonderful quality. ;)

5:32 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Robynl--I think alphas are a little misunderstood. Not all alphas are knuckle-draggers. Eloisa James is working on a hero who has a heart condition and faints all the time, but he also is fighting slavery in the House of Lords. I think moral courage (an alpha trait) can be as sexy as physical courage.

5:34 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Elisabeth--Sorry I was so late getting here to answer comments. And thank you everyone who left me a note! I have a good excuse.

My alpha DH took me for an explore of the Boston Harbor Islands. We rode the ferry out and hiked on Spectacle Island. (Pictures on my blog next Tuesday! www.emilybryan.blogspot.com)

Thanks again for having me today, Elisabeth!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

My favorite are alpha heroes:) I guess I am old fashioned:P

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Chelsea B. said...

Do you prefer alpha heroes or beta heroes?-- Both! It all really matters on the character, and what I'm in the mood to read.

And wow, your book sounds REALLY good, Emily! Seriously, with all these new-to-me authors, I'm going to be doing some heavy reading! Not that I'm complaining, of course ;)

5:47 PM  
Blogger I ♥ Book Gossip said...

I heart alpha heroes.

Please count me in.

cindyc725 at gmail dot com

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Patricia Barraclough said...

I love your statement "We read to try on other peoples lives,...". That is the best description of why we read I've heard.
My choice would be a Beta Hero. MR. Macho Alpha may appeal, but I doubt we'd get along for any amount of time. After 37 years of marriage, I'm still trying to lead when my DH and I dance. I like the more intellectual type. One who lives by his principals even when it isn't convenient. A man with a gentle side, yes, he must love children and puppies. I won't have to look far, I married him.
Good interview. Thanks for persevering when you were putting in those 40 day job weeks. You were lucky to have your hero taking care of things for you to make your writing dream possible. I look forward to your Christmas anthology.

7:00 PM  
Blogger L said...

My vote is for alpha heroes.

lovinfitch(at)aol(dot)com

7:47 PM  
Blogger Juliet said...

I love both, but I really have a soft spot for beta heroes.
Great interview!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Armenia said...

Emily and Elizabeth that was a nice interview.

I do enjoy an Alpha hero.

Though I remember the tragic hero in SIMPLY LOVE by Mary Balogh was more a Beta character. Sydnam Butler was quite a sensitive and creative character. Anyway, my heart just went out to him.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Laney4 said...

Well, I guess I'll go against the grain.
Yes, I enjoy alpha heroes. There are lots of them in romances of all genres.
When I think of beta heroes, though, I HAVE read a few. They seem more realistic -- like the guy next door.
The bottom line is that I enjoy almost all romances. Thanks for writing them. I'll keep reading them.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

The alpha is the beginning and the end for me!

9:40 PM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Mari, you're not old-fashioned. Alpha males never go out of style.

4:15 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Thanks, Chelsea. I believe in giving readers a chance to "try before they buy." There are excerpts from all my books at www.emilybryan.com And as long as you're there, please enter my CHRISTMAS IN AUGUST contest!

4:18 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

I Heart alpha heroes, too, Cindy!

4:20 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Patricia, thanks for your thoughtful comment. I think the whole alpha/beta debate may be a matter of semantics. Every characteristic has a positive and a negative expression. A laid-back Beta may be easy to live with, but he may also have a lazy streak. A stubborn alpha may be infuriating, but he'll stand up for what he believes is right, no matter what.

And as far as children are concerned, one of the best definitions of masculinity, IMHO, is providing for and protecting those who are weaker.

Thanks so much for your support of my work. Hope you love A CHRISTMAS BALL.

4:26 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Alexa, I'm with you!

4:27 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Julia, thanks so much for commenting today!

I like to believe in every Beta, there's an Alpha straining to break out. Beta heroes are at their best for me, when they finally have an Alpha moment.

But I always say it's a good thing we don't all like the same things. Otherwise, you'd all be after my DH!

4:28 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Armenia, maybe the best heroes have elements of both alpha and beta in his personality. I'm working on a hero now for STROKE OF GENIUS who is an artist, creative and perceptive. But he's a sculptor (a very manly sort of art since he has to whack away at stone).

4:31 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Laney4--Thanks for being brave enough to swim upstream!

Part of the joy of romance stories, for me, is that there is an element of female fantasy. Of course, I want my characters to be real, but idealized in the same way classical Greek art idealized the human figure. I want my characters to live large.

4:35 AM  
Blogger EmilyBryan said...

Cathi--So what you're saying it "The alpha is your omega!" LOL!

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com