Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 :~:

Freebie Day #7 - Guest Author Tracy Madison!

Scroll down for today's Freebie Giveaway!

stolen heat
enter contest
share image
buy book
elisabeth naughton
Today I'm happy to have Dorchester author Tracy Madison on the blog!

Tracy Madison grew up far more interested in the world of the make believe than the real world right outside her door. Almost from the moment she learned to read, she discovered the magic of books.

Getting completely lost in a story is still one of Tracy’s favorite things to do. As an avid reader across many different genres, her to-be-read pile grows at an alarming rate, because no matter how many she has—it’s never quite enough. She’s active in her local RWA chapter, plays a variety of computer games, and is seriously addicted to reality television.

Tracy lives in Northwestern Ohio with her husband, four children, a bear-sized dog, a snobby cat, and a loud-mouthed bird. Her house is often hectic, noisy, and filled to the brim with laugh-out-loud moments. Many of these incidents fire up her imagination to create the interesting, realistic, and intrinsically funny characters that live in her stories.

Tracy's latest release is A STROKE OF MAGIC from Dorchester Publishing:

Elizabeth Stevens is one bite away from happiness.

Today is Elizabeth Stevens’s birthday, and not only is it the one-year anniversary of her husband leaving her, it’s also the day her bakery is required to make a cake—for her ex’s next wedding. If there’s a bitter taste in her mouth, no one can blame her.

But today, Liz is about to receive a gift. Her Grandma Verda isn’t just wacky; she’s a little witchy. An ancient gypsy magic has been passed through her family bloodline for generations, and it’s Liz’s turn to be empowered. Henceforth, everything she bakes will have a dash of delight and a pinch of wishes-can-come-true. From her hunky policeman neighbor, to her gorgeous personal trainer, to her bum of an ex-husband, everyone Liz knows is going to taste her power. Revenge is sweet…and it’s only the first dish to be served.

“Tracy Madison dishes up a masterpiece with her debut paranormal romance….A TASTE OF MAGIC is an excellent romance, and a very enjoyable book.” - Fresh Fiction

"A little magic and a lot of fun will lift anyone's spirits, and A TASTE OF MAGIC is the perfect combination." – Coffee Time Romance


Welcome, Tracy!

***

1) What kind of books do you love to read and how do those stories impact your own writing?
Hmm, this is a tough question because I read so many different types of books. It’s sort of like when you get a craving for a specific type of food, and then you eat it at every meal for a while, until a new craving pops up, so you switch gears. Lately, I’ve been catching up on the romance novels in my TBR pile. A few months back, I was hooked on suspense, and before that…I was devouring YA.

As far as impacting my own writing…well, I think a good story, whether in book form, on the screen, or even from real life pushes me to write better. To learn how to tell the stories I want to tell with greater emotion. That’s always my goal: to pull emotion from the reader. I want them to care about my characters and what they’re dealing with.


2) What are you working on presently? What about upcoming releases?
At the moment, I’m writing book 3 in the series. A BREATH OF MAGIC will be released in May, 2010. After that, I have book 4 in the series—as yet untitled—which *should* squeak in before the end of 2010, but I don’t have a release date yet.

I’m also thinking about future books, and what I might want to work on after these next two are written. Luckily, I have lots of ideas keeping me up at night!

3) What’s the best compliment you ever got on your writing or book(s)?
Oh wow, I’ve had so many of them that have just made me smile like a giddy schoolgirl after being asked out by the football captain. Annette Blair told me that she wished she’d written A TASTE OF MAGIC. I’ve been a fan of Annette’s for years, so that was (and still is) a HUGE thrill! And just recently, reviewer Emily Becher said, “Tracy Madison and characterization go together like chocolate and strawberries.” I glowed when I read that!

And then, there are those wonderful readers who take the time to email me with their compliments. What always shocks me is when they thank me for writing! I’ll always write, but there are a zillion books out there for readers to buy, so the fact that these readers are buying my books and enjoying them enough to contact me—well, that’s pretty much the best compliment ever. And I make sure they know how much I appreciate it.

4) What’s your writing schedule like?
Ugh. What schedule? It’s summer and I have four kids, which means I write when I can—usually late at night. I tend to do other work during the day, take a nap after dinner, and then stay up until the early-morning hours when everyone else is asleep. During the school year, I can switch things back around, but for now I’m on the nightshift!

5) If you could be one character from any book you’re read or written who would it be and why?
Another difficult question! When I was a kid, I read a lot of Trixie Belden books, so I’d have chosen Trixie in a second. She always had a mystery to solve, her boyfriend Jim was a cutie, and her friends backed her up whenever things got dicey.

Now, I’d have to say Eve Dallas from the In Death series by J.D. Robb. Eve solves homicides, has a gorgeous husband, and friends who back her up if things get dicey. Hmm…I’m sensing a pattern here!

From my own books, I’d go for Grandma Verda in a second. This is a woman who isn’t afraid to say whatever is on her mind. She’s also just quirky enough to appeal to me.

Thank you, Elisabeth, for having me here today! I can’t wait to get my hands on STOLEN HEAT!

***


Tracy is giving away a copy of A TASTE OF MAGIC to one lucky commenter. Because I love quirky characters as much as she does, to be entered into the drawing, simply answer this question:

Do you have any quirky characters in your family? No? How about at work?

(Please note: This contest is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada)

Labels: ,

36Comments:

Blogger steve said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:13 AM  
Blogger katsrus said...

I had an uncle whom would buy antique clocks at auctions & fix the clocks & they were all set to exacally the same time. And he had a lot of them. I don't know how he did it but; they all went off at the same time.

5:15 AM  
OpenID elaing8 said...

my dad is a little quirky,more so as he gets older.lol
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Diane Sadler said...

Nope, I can't remember having any quirky family members or even working with any. I have seen many customers with quirky customers though
Diane Sadler
dsadler53(at)yahoo(dot)ca

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Amy M said...

I hate to say it, but I think that I am probably the quirky one in my family. And to define my "quirks"...well we would be here all day!

7:01 AM  
Blogger ~Ley said...

I work at a library, so trust me, there are plenty of quirky characters there! Plus when you throw in all the sugar we eat (everybody's always bringing in something that we really don't need), we get even quirkier. But it's a lot of fun. :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger LadyVampire2u said...

I think I pretty much surround myself with quirky characters. I have one friend who loves motorcycles and collects anything about them but doesn't know how to even ride a bicycle let alone a motorcycle. And I have another friend who insists there's no such thing as ghosts or magic yet he sleeps with a circle of salt around his bed.
LadyVampire2u(AT)gmail(DOT)com

7:37 AM  
Blogger jeanette8042 said...

I think all my friends and family look pretty normal most of the time but there are certain times that they act a bit quirky.

7:40 AM  
OpenID pams00 said...

well lots of my family members are quirky and I have best friend who loves the Atlanta Braves baseball team; she collects all things Braves imaginable and can tell you the stats of most of the players.

Pam S
pams00@aol.com

9:12 AM  
Blogger Karen H in NC said...

Hi Tracy,

I was a big fan of the Trixie Beldon books when I was growing up too. They were my favorite!

I think the quirkiest person in my family was my oldest brother. He was fascinated with pipe organs (couldn't play one, but loved Bach). Anyway, right after he got home from his hitch in the army, he attempted to build a pipe organ in the basement of my mother's house. Fortunately, he didn't finish it! The house was definately not big enough for a pipe organ in the basement.

9:48 AM  
Blogger kalynnick said...

I guess my lilttle brother..LOL

10:02 AM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

katsrus: LOL, I love that story!

elaing8: My dad is quirkier as he ages too. Which means the same will probably hold true for me!

Diane: Really? No one quirky at all in your family? Wow! Though, I always said my family is *special* :)

Amy: I'm easily the quirkiest member of my family...though there are a few who run a close second, thank goodness!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

~Ley: Ooh, you get to work around books and quirky characters? Sounds like fun! (Not to mention the sweets!)

LadyVampire2U: Your friends sound awesome!

Jeanette: It's those normal ones you have to watch out for. I mean, come on, who is *really* that normal? Seriously, I believe that all of us have at least one quirk, even if we hide it well. :)

Pams: I think quirky folks are (for the most part) a lot more fun to be around! And I get the collecting thing...I collect coffee mugs. Let's just say I have far more than I'll ever be able to use, but that doesn't stop me from buying more!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

Karen: I so loved Trixie and her gang of friends. I'm going to have to go in search of those books, as I'm sure they're packed away somewhere.

kalynnick: Aren't all little brothers quirky? I know mine is!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Cybercliper said...

It would probably be easier for me to tell you whose NOT quirky. I have an uncle who hides from a ghost - not just any ghost - but grandma's ghost. Evidently she was not too happy about her baby girl's marriage to him.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Laney4 said...

Quirky? Crazy as a loon is more like it! Seriously, though, we all have our idiosyncrasies. That's what makes us so lovable!

As for books, Trixie Belden books were hard to find in my small town, so I settled for Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Armenia said...

Tracy, great interview. STROKE OF MAGIC sounds like a wonderful story.

My mom is quirky and pretty superstitious, but that's what makes her so interesting.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I don't have any quirky family members. I do know some people at work who are a little quirky. They just do things and see things a little differently.

12:12 PM  
Blogger wavybrains said...

This series sounds fabulous! Definitely going on my TBR list! I love books with cooking in them :)

My family is filled with quirky characters. My brother loves to wear suits (he gets them at vintage shops and goodwill), and he's been known to wear them for things like going hiking and picnics :P I love him to pieces though, and I love all his quirks too.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Do I have any quirky characters in my family?

I have many characters in my family...

My father revels in his quirkiness... He asked my aunt if the dinner was formal or casual, and since she wouldn't say, he made an outfit - half suit and half jeans sewn together!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Refhater said...

My entire family is quirky in one way or another. We all have a touch of OCD and it manifests in some unusual ways. I like to think that we're "unique" rather than quirky.

There are 9 of us so that makes alot of quirks. Some examples are that my younger brother washes his hands constantly. My 3 year old niece lines all her toys up in a row according to size and color. And I organize everything from reciepts (date order) to books (alphabetical by author.)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

Cybercliper: Oh, wow--there is a story there! I love this!

Laney4: I read a lot of Nancy Drew too, but Trixie remains my favorite from those days. And LOL on the Crazy as a Loon comment. :)

Armenia: Thank you! I actually have a story in mind with a quirky and superstitious heroine...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

Wavybrains: Aww...thanks! And LOL, your brother sounds awesome!

Cathi: Wow! What a great story! I love the 1/2 jeans/1/2 suit outfit.

Refhater: Unique is a perfectly acceptable term to use--but I still love the work "quirky." :)

2:20 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Thanks for being here, Tracy! I love your interview!

Most of you know I was sick in June and in the hospital with a massive bacterial infection (basically toxic shock). I don't remember anything from my week in ICU (thankfully!) but apparantly I was quite a lot to deal with (trying to escape, not letting the nurses do their jobs, etc. But seriously...would you want to be in ICU???) A friend called my house while I was there to find out how I was and my mom answered. My mom's response to the question was, "Well, Elisabeth has 'checked-out' for a while. But it's okay. Everyone in our family checks-out for a time at some point in their lives.' She'll be back soon."

Let me just say...my whole family is FULL of quirky characters. Me, apparantly, included. ;)

6:38 PM  
Blogger LighthouseSandy said...

Gosh, I can't think of any quirky members in my family! LOL, hard to believe. Both of my grandfathers were huge jokesters, but that's about as close I can get!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

I tend to be 'a little' quirky. My mother said that when I was young and supposed to be vacuuming she would notice that I was stil in the same spot. When she cam to check, I was reading a book and just moving the vacuum back and forth in the same spot - it was a clean spot though :>)
A comment to katsrus: my father built grandfather clocks and repaired clocks. He had them all set to go off a different times so that he could enjoy their chimes!

7:37 PM  
Blogger MarthaE said...

I think lots of people think my hubby is quirky! He is a big jokster - class clown guy! AND he flirst with all the ladies from 2 to 80! Everyone thinks he is a party guy but if you ask him - he'd rather stay home!
Thanks for the contest! mesreads[at]gmail[dot]com

10:11 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Thanks, Tracy... and I have always loved the word quirky too!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Cathi said...

Tracy, I love anything by Sherrilyn Kenyon... I read Acheron in one day!

10:23 PM  
Blogger donnas said...

My mom and nephew are the quirky characters in my family.

bacchus76 at myself dot com

10:42 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oooh, I want WANT this book!!
LOL, I think the question is....do we have any NORMAL non quirky charachters in our family???
But my aunt is the funniest....have you ever seen that show, Clean House?? You know how they go in peoples houses and they have crap piled everywhere?? She is like that, only most of her stuff is NEW. Bags and bags, and BAGS of it. She buys and buys, and never even takes most of it out of the bags. It's bad, lol. At one point no one could ride in her car, because she had it SO piled down w/ bags of stuff that even the from passenger seat was full!! And if anything I'm downplaying this....she is a compulsive buyer. I keep telling her if she'll let me clean her house and car she can retire on the yard sale proceeds!!

6:14 AM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

Elisabeth: Thank you for having me! I've loved being here. I so hope you're feeling better.

LighthouseSandy: Jokesters count (in my mind, anyway!)

Karin: LOL! I used to do the same thing with the vacuum.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

MarthaE: Your husband sounds great, and I bet the ladies like being flirted wtih!

Cathi: I'm a huge fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books, and while it took me two days to read Acheron, that was mostly because I forced myself to slow down. :)

Donnas: Thanks for commenting! My mom isn't that quirky, but I more than make up for her lack.

Melissa: Wow! Your aunt sounds like someone in my family, only it's her house filled with bags and boxes. She's a confirmed QVC and HSN addict! Thanks for stopping in!

6:18 AM  
Blogger lrwirum said...

I have an uncle that is a little strange and have worked with some people that were definitely weird.

:-)

Larena

9:07 AM  
Blogger CheekyGirl said...

I think my family might say I'm the quirky one in the family! But I would argue that I my entire family is a hoot!

This looks like a fantastic book.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Tracy Madison said...

Larena: LOL on weird co-workers! I'm pretty sure we've all worked with at least one person who was slightly left of center. :)

CheekyGirl: Thanks :) And honestly, I'd much rather be a part of a quirky family than a completely non-quirky one. After all, where's the fun if there's no one to laugh at at family dinners?

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com