Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 :~:

30 Days of Freebie Giveaways!!! Day #1 - Guest Author M.J. Fredrick!

It's here! The 30 Days of Freebie Giveways! For the next 30 days I'll be hosting some fabulous authors here on my blog. You'll get to learn a little about their writing and books, and every day I'll have a contest for some kind of free goodie. Books, jewelry, gift cards...you won't want to miss these prizes!

The rules are simple...just read the blog, when you see a prize you want, just answer the question at the end of the post and leave a comment in the comment section to be entered into the drawing. It's that easy!!

So let's get started!

M.J. Fredrick writes for Sahmain Publishing and The Wild Rose Press. She's a mom, a wife, a teacher and a writer. She has three cats and a dog to keep her company. She love bookstores and libraries and Blockbuster - and admits movies are her greatest weakness.

Today M.J. is giving away an autographed copy of her recent release, HOT SHOT, to one lucky commenter. Read on for info on how to enter the drawing.





Blurb:
Their passion rivals the fires they battle.

Peyton Michaels expected her assignment to be simple—write an article about everyday heroes. Heroes like Hot Shot firefighter Gabe Cooper. She never expected to find herself running up a mountain, a wildfire nipping at her heels, her life in his hands.

And she never expected to be drawn to Gabe. After the loss of her husband in the line of duty, the last thing she wants is to fall in love with yet another man who routinely puts his life at risk.

Gabe has had enough of women who want to make him into someone he’s not. Women like his ex, who couldn’t handle the heat of his job. Like Peyton, who sees him as a hero when he’s just a man doing a job. Except time after time, the pesky reporter proves her mettle. And gets deeper under his skin.

But there’s an arsonist at work, and danger is closing in with the speed of a raging brush fire. Peyton and Gabe have to dig deep for what it takes to be a real hero—to find the courage to reach out and grab a forever kind of love. Before it’s too late.

Vist the author's website at www.mjfredrick.com

Welcome M.J.!

***


What TV has taught me about writing chapter hooks?
by M.J. Fredrick

You know the feeling, right? You’re reading a good book, your eyes are drifting, telling you it’s time to turn out the lights. After all, you have work tomorrow and you need to be on your toes. You promise yourself you’ll JUST read to the end of the chapter, then turn out the lights.

Then that blasted author ends on a hook, and you just have to turn the page. One more chapter.

I love writing end of chapter hooks. And where do I get my inspiration? Where I get my inspiration for everything else---TV.

I was raised on “Who Shot JR?”

I gasped aloud at the end of a season of Alias when Vaughn and Sydney were finally going to have a romantic weekend and he revealed his name wasn’t really Vaughn, just before a car slammed into them.

I cried when the Others stole Walt at the end of season one of LOST.

I was stunned when Meredith and McDreamy were heading out of Seattle Grace, only to be accosted by McDreamy’s wife on Grey’s Anatomy.

I couldn’t believe that Buffy died in season 5 of, well, Buffy.

I fretted over who was pregnant on Friends.

And of course (you knew it would be here) I sobbed when Dean died at the end of season 4 of Supernatural. (The end of season 1 was a great cliffhanger, too, what with the Impala being mutilated in a crash with a semi and a demon standing over the unconscious Winchesters.)

Look for M.J.'s next book, BENEATH THE SURFACE, coming to ebook in September.

To be entered into the drawing for HOT SHOT, simply answer this question:

What are some of your favorite cliffhangers in TV?

Labels: ,

20Comments:

Blogger Mary Curry said...

I'm up WAY too early thanks to a noisy bird, so I get to be first. Of course my brain's still asleep so I can't even think of any season finales except for Season 1 of Jericho which I loved. Had the famous "nuts" line that prompted the whole campaign that brought the series back from the dead for another short season.

4:36 AM  
Blogger Norah Wilson said...

Mmmm...Supernatural has the best season-ending cliffhangers!

But how about the first season of Veronica Mars? Remember at the very end of the episode, she opens the door to someone we can't see/identify and says something like, "Oh, I was hopiing it would be you." Argh!!! Which guy was it??? Fortunately, I watched it on DVD so didn't have to wait long for the answer.

4:57 AM  
Blogger KELLY FITZPATRICK said...

I hate cliffhangers. I can't remember what the heck happened when the show comes back on. But, I'll go with Burn Notice, when Michal drives into the moving van (which was moving) to go who-knows-where. I think it was season one.

5:04 AM  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

Ooh, Mary, you're right! That was a great cliffhanger. And then CBS didn't renew and the fans got all nuts and season 2 was meh.

Norah, I watched VM on DVD, so I guess I didn't have the angst over who was at the door! Rescue Me had a good one at the end of season 1, too, but now I can't remember. I just remember running to the store for Season 2!

Kelly, I agree, cliffhangers can be frustrating because of the hiatus! I'm like, oh, YEAH! And you're right about Burn Notice. That show doesn't disappoint!

5:33 AM  
Blogger Trish Milburn said...

Those Jericho, Supernatural and Veronica Mars cliffhangers were awesome! Another good one was Battlestar Galactica's season 2. We jump a few years into the future, the characters we've become attached are are largely living on a planet called Caprica 2. Toward the end of the episode, the Cylons find them again, the fleet jumps away, and everyone is stranded on the planet to face the Cylons. Oh, and Baltar is president!

Another was the third season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, when Captain Picard was assimilated into the Borg and tells the crew of the Enterprise that he is "Locutus of Borg. Prepare to be assimilated," and Riker, now in charge of the Enterprise, gives the order to fire.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite cliffhanger for TV was last seasons True Blood series on HBO, I've read all the books, but the show is different the books, never know what's going to happen there!

Dottie :)

8:53 AM  
Blogger Musings by Mimmi said...

Great post!!
Oh, yeah, I remember Who Shot JR, too!!
I'm not a huge TV watcher, but I about died when McDreamy's wife showed up. Before that he was perfect!!
I hated in Ghostwhisperer when her hubby died, after she finally got pregnant....not crazy about the situation with that.
And wow, Charmed. They always has cliffhangers that had me biting my nails waiting for the next episode, let alone the new season. I miss that show!!

9:18 AM  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

Trish, I wasn't watching BSG then, but the dh was. We were in a hotel room in Houston and I just heard my dh say, "Oh, my GOD!" Yeah, that was a cliffhanger to talk about!

Dottie, YES on True Blood! I've not seen season 2 yet (no HBO) but that one did leave the show in a twist.

Melissa, yes, I thought McDreamy was perfect, too! Man, what a secret. I was wondering about Ghost Whisperer, why they killed off the husband. I don't watch it, but I'll catch it every now and again and the actor is still on. Do you know why?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Monica McCabe said...

Okay, I confess I don't watch too many dramas. Mostly comedy & they don't have a lot of cliffhangers! But I love serialized TV shows like Jericho, LOST, & Moonlight. CBS cancelled two and LOST waits soooo long between seasons that I tend to forget plot lines! :~O

And I secretly crave watching True Blood even though I feel a bit like a dirty bird when I do! All that vamp sex in season 1 gave me hot flashes, but dang if it don't pull me in every week anyhow. Loving season 2 so far. Eric and Lafayette are my fav characters.

1:02 PM  
Blogger host said...

Great interview!
I love Grey's Anatomy season- endings. Then there're Heroes... very edgy endings :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger Mary Curry said...

MJ, I don't remember the exact details but I think it's her husband's spirit in someone else's body (Sam). I haven't watched recently but I think he didn't really know her but he found her familiar somehow. She knew it was his spirit though. Confused yet?

OK - woken up enough to think some more and Monica's talk of cancellations reminded me - I loved the ending of CASTLE this year cause you just know he's going to be in trouble with her when it starts up again (because by some miracle it wasn't cancelled).

1:50 PM  
Blogger Monica McCabe said...

Oooooh, I love CASTLE. Does it count as a drama? Cause it's more like a comedy to me. And yeah, Castle is in serious poo-poo with Beckett. I can't wait until the return this fall! Nathan Fillion is beyond awesome. He was fantastic as Capt. Mal in Firefly, another cancelled-before-it's-time show!

2:26 PM  
Blogger lrhubble said...

When Wilson left House on House. :-)

Of course since I watch very little tv that is problably the best I can do. LOL

Larena

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Amy Mowers said...

I love Nip/Tuck. The season ending last year with Sean was stabbed by his crazy stalker...not knowing what was going to happen. Then this year with Christian thinking that he only had months to live, marries Liz, then finds out his cancer is in remission. Then to top it all off...they are cancelling the show!

Thanks-
Amy M
atc218@aol.com

3:35 PM  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

LOVE Castle!!! So glad it was picked up again! Nathan Fillion tweeted that he doesn't remember the last time he had a second season of ANYTHING.

I don't see Nip/Tuck or House. Did Wilson leave this year? How frustrating that they'd cancel Nip/Tuck after a cliffhanger! I guess that's why shows have them, though, to increase their chance of being renewed.

Monica, my ds buys the DVDs of LOST and we have time to revisit the series before the new episodes come on.

True Blood---I love Tara. LOVE her.

host, yes, on Heroes, too! That show takes a commitment, but I think it's very clever.

Mary C...yes, confused. ;)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Karen H said...

I have to agree with you about the Alias cliffhanger...that was one of my favorites. In fact I just finished watching the series again for the 4th or 5th time.

Then there was Michael getting blown up when he opened the door to his apartment in Burn Notice.

Another zinger I liked is in Mad Men, Season 2 where Betty tells Don, 'I'm pregnant'. Can't wait to see how that turns out. Only a few more weeks to find out.

I forgot about that Veronica Mars Season 1 ending. But I also liked the very last episode of Season 3, where Veronica's dad was running in the sheriff's election. We see Veronica walking away from the voting polls, but we don't know how she voted or who won the election. It was a shame the series was cheated out of a 4th season. I have the series so I guess I'll pull it out for another go round.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Maija said...

The first cliffhanger that came to my mind is the ending to Planet of the Apes movie. By this I mean the new version. I haven't seen the old ones, but I probably have to check them out to see what happens in the sequels.

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember specific endings and seasons, but I have to agree with a few people here on some of the shows.
Ghost Whisperer when her husband died.
Supernatural is great for cliffhangers.
Heroes is even better, you just never know what is going to happen on that show.
Oh, and I love Grey's Anatomy, so I have to agree with that one too!

7:05 AM  
Blogger The Scarf Princess said...

I agree with the person who mentioned Supernatural. Those are exciting endings every season.

And even though it was the end of the series, I love how Angel ended.

10:08 AM  
Blogger MJFredrick said...

Karen, I'm so mad because Amazon had seasons 2&3 of Veronica Mars on DVD, and I just bought season 2. Today, the price is double!

Maija, I know I've seen Planet of the Apes, but I don't remember the ending. May have to rewatch.

Melissa, I'm dying to know how they're going to resolve the Syler/Nathan thing this year on Heroes!!

Joder, ANGEL!!! How could I forget??? "Personally, I want to slay the dragon." <3 Also, the season where they dropped Angel in a sealed coffin to the bottom of the ocean, remember that?? Wow.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com