Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Friday, October 03, 2008 :~:

Coming Out Of My Deadline Cave...

...for a rant.

Okay, I was going to keep quiet on this topic, but I just can't anymore.

I'm sick of politics. Wait, let me rephrase that. I'm sick of entertainers expounding their opinion on politics. If you are an entertainer - of any medium - your job is to entertain me. Period. Your job is not to sway me to your political viewpoint. I'm an adult. I have my own views. If I wanted to know yours, I'd ask. When I watch your movies or listen to your music or read your books, I want to be entertained. I want to lose myself in the worlds and characters you have created. But when I'm reading your book or watching your movies or listening to your latest CD and you've done the above, then the whole time your product is in front of me, I'm not focused on your art, I'm thinking about your last comment regarding so-and-so during such-and-such debate. Doesn't matter if your comment was positive or negative, or even if I agreed with it - it's still in my brain. Do you really want me thinking about that when I'm devouring your product? I don't think so. And here's why...look at any poll related to this election. They're all close to 50/50. And stated simply, that means 50% of Americans are not going to agree with your political position, no matter what that may be!

The class-act entertainers, in my opinion, do not use their celebrity to push their own personal political agendas. They know that while they may be on top today, that could change in a heart beat tomorrow. They could just as easily find themselves at the bottom, struggling to gain fans once again. Instead, they work at the grass roots level, they volunteer money or time. They don't send out political messages or leave snarky comments on message boards or publicly cheer or pout about anything political. Because they know people remember.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Some of you are thinking, "But I really BELIEVE in this. I can make a difference NOW!" Good for you. I'm glad you feel so passionately about what you believe in. I do, too, but the reality is elections come and go. Politicians serve a few years and are gone (at least from the White House...the Senate's a whole other ball of wax), your career will span decades. There are entertainers - writers, actors, musicians - I won't read, watch, or listen to, simply because they went off the deep end politically...no matter WHAT their viewpoint...even if it agreed with mine or not. Are you really willing to risk your career just so you can post a few snarky political comments about the election?

I don't want to get into a political debate. So please, if you leave a comment, don't tell me who you're voting for and who you aren't. But I am curious about your opinion on this topic...do you think entertainers should be using their celebrity (and careers) to expound on their political views?

4Comments:

Blogger Lady of the Review said...

Ugh! I avoid anyone who talks about politics, even family. I'm of the opinion that voting should be a personal, private thing. I hate having people tell me who to vote (or not vote) for. I wouldn't tell them & don't feel it's right that they tell me. *ahem* Sorry, about that. :)

Came across your blog via Delilah's site. She's a dear and I liked the look of your book. I'm a writer (working on first book! Whoot!) and also write book reviews on my review blog. If you're looking for reviewers...I'd be happy to volunteer! :D

Anyway, hope you have a great Monday. I'm off to bed. I'm exhausted!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Kendra said...

He's holding a cup of coffe while he reads the paper. Whew.

Politics. Religion. Keep it to yourself unless asked. Don't answer if you think the other person is just looking for someone to argue with.

My MIL says the other day "Well, what does everyone think about Sarah Palin?" My family and my SIL's family was there. We all stared silently at her, because we knew there were radically different political views between the people in the room. No one said a single word, because we all knew it would go nowhere. Gotta keep the peace. What was she thinking?!?

6:54 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Welcome, Lady! I'm glad you stopped by. Delilah is definitely a sweetheart. She's in the process of hauling a bunch of promo stuff up to the Emerald City Conference for me, probably as I type.

Good luck on that first book! I'm going to go over and check out your site.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL, Kendra, I had to read your first line several times before I realized what you were looking at. Yes, it is a cup of coffee. Hard to see in the thumbnail, isn't it? ROFL

On the topic of family...my brother is the budget director for the State of Oregon. He graduated from law school, LOVES to argue, always brings up politics. I love him dearly but it's gotten to the point where I just roll my eyes and walk out of the room when he gets going. Our political views never ever match.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com