Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 :~:

Voice

Last night was my RWA meeting. We had the great privilege of having fellow long-distance chapter member and SuperRomance author, Terry McLaughlin, join us from California for the evening. I can't say enough good things about Terry. She's one of those people you just love to be around - fun, witty, hilarious. When she talks to you she makes you feel like you're the only one in the room and that what you have to say is important (I love people like that!). She's involved in everything - national board for RWA, speaks at conferences and chapter meetings, was a local officer for years and a (very recent) past Golden Network president. Not to mention her stellar publishing record since selling only a few years ago. The girl is BUSY. But she still LOVES to talk writing as much as some of us newer to the business do - obviously, or she wouldn't have made the long trek up to the rainy Willamette Valley to join us.

The pic above was taken after the meeting last night. From the left it's me, Barb Cool Lee (also VP for the Golden Network), Genene Valleau (whose recent debut, Songs of The Heart, came out this month), and Terry. Terry's topic last night was voice - and specifically, what makes yours unique. And while she didn't talk a whole lot about craft, the one thing I came away with was that your voice is yours alone and worth fighting for. You can't change it to make others happy or in order to sell. Because your voice is who you are as a writer. You can change style, genre, characters all you want, but your voice is the one thing that remains consistent through all of that.

I LOVED hearing what Terry had to say, and for me it was perfect timing. I just finished my para RS and have started revisions, and one thing I've noticed is that the first half of the book - which I wrote before Christmas - has a very stilted form of my voice. I was trying too hard - trying to fit with what I "thought" a paranormal romance voice should be. The second half of the book - which I wrote all in the last month - is written in my voice. My fun, a bit snarky, lighter voice. It's me. And that's why writing the second half of the book was so much easier - and faster.

I've heard a lot of writers say they "knew" when they wrote the book that was eventually going to be their first sale. They just felt it. I used to think that meant they knew they'd found a cool plot or characters or something intangible I hadn't found yet. But that wasn't it at all. They'd discovered their voice. The them that shines through their characters and writing and makes their story unique and different. I felt that way when I was writing Stolen Fury. The writing, words, characters, story came easier because I let my real voice come through and didn't try to revise it to be something it wasn't. And I found that voice again when I wrote the second half of my para RS.

So, Terry, if you're reading this, I just want to say thanks. You gave me a light-bulb moment last night. One that - hopefully - will make my revisions (at least on the first half of my book) a little easier.

How about the rest of you? Have you found your voice? Are you still looking? Do you struggle to stay true to it (like I obviously do)?

Labels: ,

6Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

Terry was awesome last night!

I've known I had voice, but I liked the way she explained it. I think it was about my 5 or 6th book when I finally figured out to let myself go and ironically it was Marshal in Petticoats- my first published book- that I felt comfortable with my own writing.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Karen Duvall said...

I sure wish I could have been there last night. What a great topic of discussion!

I'm fairly certain I've found my voice, especially because whenever I've made a conscious effort to change it, it won't budge. It is what it is, distinctively mine. It's true that I found it when I relaxed and let the words flow without thinking too hard about the nine million things we have to think about while writing fiction. When I stopped trying, it started clicking. And then writing became even loads more fun than it already is. 8^)

5:20 PM  
Blogger Terry McLaughlin said...

Blushing here, Eli. You're too sweet :-)! What a treat to spend some time with you.

One thing about voice (and letting yourself go, as Paty phrased it, or letting the words flow, as Karen said)--it always seems that the passages I polish the most get the heaviest edits. It's the pages I rush through, the parts I jot down just as they come to me--those are the ones that seem to please my editor the most.

I need to remember that and stop trying so hard ;-)!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Not ironic, Paty. I think finding your voice is key in writing the book that will sell. And it took me five as well. ;)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I wish you'd been there too, Karen! We had a greattime.

I think what you said is key: When I stopped trying, it started clicking. Same for me. It's very hard to let go though. Sort of along the same lines as trusting your instincts. When you're a new writer, you don't know if your instincts are right. But I agree...writing definitely became more fun and fulfilling when I finally learned to let go.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Terry, we are SO glad you came up. You really are a hoot.

I love what you said about your edits. That's so true, isn't it? The more we edit the more we revise that voice right out of our writing. I'm going to remember that as I start in on my next book.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com