Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Monday, April 14, 2008 :~:

Soulmates

How do you feel about the concept of soulmates in romantic fiction? Generally, I'm not wild about it - not in contemporary romances anyway. The idea that there's only one person you're destined for . . . it kind of negates the whole "free will" thing in my head. I think people make choices - especially in relationships - and romantic fiction is no different. If you're open to new experiences and people you'll find the person who's right for you. Does that make them your soulmate? I don't know. I think it makes you lucky.

The whole soulmate thing seems to come up more in paranormal romance than any other subgenre that I've seen. And ironically, I'm okay with it here. Probably because in paranormal fiction the hero or heroine are enough outside the realm of "contemporary normal" for me to buy into it. Yesterday I happened to be looking up when Kresley Cole's newest paranormal will be released and saw a discussion thread about soulmates. The title was "Soulmates In Romances - I'm Sick of Them!" Turns out the original poster was sick of them, but the majority of people who responded said if done well, they enjoyed them.

I found the whole discussion sort of fascinating because I'm in revisions on my para RS and I've taken a strange twist on the whole soulmate thing. Yeah, I included a soulmate element, but not in the traditional sense. To me it works, but it will be interesting to see what my CPs and agent think when they read it.

So how about you...do you like soulmate books, not like them, really don't have an opinion? I'm curious.

Labels: , ,

2Comments:

Blogger Edie Ramer said...

I love twists! Twist away. Elizabeth Gilbert (Eat Pray Love) was on Oprah. She had a soulmate from before she went on her Italy-India-Bali year-long journey, and they were making each other miserable. She met Richard, a Texan, in the Ashram, and he told her soulmates are there to teach you lessons. (Or something like that.) That's another twist. :)

I'm the same as you about it. I buy it better in paranormal than in contemporary. I'll be interested in seeing your twist.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Soulmates? I don't believe in them. I beleive in feeling a connection with a person and making a decision whether or not you will act on it, but the soulmate thing just doesn't work for me. Not sure it would in a paranormal other than the characters in those are 'out there' which is kind of how I feel about soulmates.
PS: I like the changes. ;)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com