Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 :~:

My Bad and Book Update

My writer's brain works in the strangest ways. I swear it gets me into more trouble than not.

Saturday night the DH and I went to a poker party. My running partner and her hubby (he's a lieutenant with the state police) were there. We were laughing, drinking, having a good old time, when out of nowhere I had a writing thought. I turned to my running partner and said, "Oh! I forgot. I have this scene in my new book that I need your husband's help with."

Now, being a smart girl, my running partner eyed me and said, "Elisabeth, I've read the scenes in your books. He's not allowed to help you."

Of course, it took me a few seconds to clue in to what she was getting at (I admit I was a little slow that night), but I quickly shook my head and - thinking everyone else lives inside my brain and knows how my frazzled writer's mind works - said, "No. You don't understand. I meant you could both help me by demonstrating. I'll just watch."

*ahem* Yeah. You can only imagine what happened next.

My running partner busted out laughing. Her hubby clued in on the conversation and became very interested. Conversation at the poker table stopped as everyone looked our way and stared. My hubby (on my other side) glanced my way, rolled his eyes and though he didn't speak I could all but hear him thinking, "What the heck is she up to now?" He, at least, knows how my brain works - how I can take off on a strange tangent in the middle of a conversation and come back with things like, "If you were going to kill someone and wanted to hide the evidence..." or "When you're in a strip club..." The others at the table? Ahhhh...not so up to speed on my brain.

Now, to clarify, I was NOT implying what it sounds like I was implying. The scene in question takes place in a gym. My heroine is working out and I need to know some self defense moves cops might know to drop someone to the floor. TOTALLY innocent. But alas...my bad...it didn't come out that way.

*sigh* Such is the way this writer's brain works.

In other news....I'm uber-close to finishing my paranormal RS. I can see the end in sight. Unfortunately, each step I take towards that end seems to push it that much farther out of my reach. But I'm ticking off scenes, and I think I'm down to seven. Or eight. Something like that. I can't wait to finish!

So share with me...how does your brain work? Ever find yourself having to clarify with friends and family? Or am I the only one who lives in her own version of la-la land?

Labels: ,

6Comments:

Blogger Kendra said...

I have a patient who is a pharmacist who doesn't know that I write. When I saw her a few weeks ago, someone on the KOD loop had been asking about old valium or something and wanted to know how effective it'd be after 15 years. So I asked her and she gave me strangest look.

"Don't take old drugs."

"I know. It's for um...a frend who um... is writing a story and the character finds the drugs."

Another strange look. She did not believe me one bit.

My mom is an emergency room RN. She's used to weird questions from me. My brother is a pilot. I've used him a lot for my current WIP. He's insisted I let him read anything I write that has to do with planes. He hates flight inaccuracies in movies and books. They're both very patient with me and don't raise eyebrows when I ask how to pop a dislocated shoulder back in or how to dismantle the emergency locater on planes.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

I'm totally there with you as far as living in my own little world. At least my close friends are like your hubby. They don't understand it, but they know "that's just Lexi". Sadly, I wish I could say the same about my family. They just give me odd looks and then change the subject.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

OMG, Kendra. That's hilarious. I can just picture the pharmacist's face.

You're lucky you have such a fab medical and aviation resource. One of my beta readers was an RN for years (retired now) and her son's a PA. She's great for reading my stuff and pointing out any medical inconsistencies I'm missing. I'm going to remember you're related to a pilot in case I ever need it. ;) LOL

9:49 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL, Lexi. I know all about the odd looks. So glad your friends understand "Lexi-world".

9:52 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Since I don't write about all the murder and mayhem the rest of you do, I don't say things that concern others, that way. Now when I see a great name in the obits or a story about a historical event and get all giddy, that's when my husband jsut raises an eyebrow and hands me a paper and pencil or scissors. LOL And I'm lucky my daughters have the same love of history that I do, so when I start talking about some historical place or event they dive right in with the how do you think they did this or that. Very helpful.

I think if you write you live in another world because you always have characters running amok in your head and scenes playing out that if someone asked what you were thinking they'd be sorry they asked! LOL

7:42 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I think if you write you live in another world because you always have characters running amok in your head and scenes playing out that if someone asked what you were thinking they'd be sorry they asked!

Paty, I think you're right on here. If people knew what I was really thinking...I might be committed. ;)

"But it wasn't me officer, seriously. It was the character in my book..."

LOLOLOL

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com