Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 :~:

Avoidance Behavior

While at the gym this morning, I had an epiphany. An entire book popped into my head. Characters, plot, conflict. Opening scenes, turning points, big black moment, resolution. The entire thing. This has never happened to me before. Not with such utter clarity and well-developed GMC. The problem? It's not the genre I write.

The book is paranormal. I write romantic suspense. Technically, the book would be paranormal romantic suspense because I can't write a book without murder and mayhem, but it's definitely paranormal. And if you can't tell from the picture I uploaded here, it deals with one of my favorite topics: Greek Mythology.

I could see this being a series. If, of course, someone loved the first idea enough to take a chance on it. There are big possibilities here but I'm hesitant to mention it to my agent at this point. I need to mull it over more. Plus, it's completely different from what I'm writing now. And I keep hearing over and over about "branding" as an author. Especially as a new author.

On the flip side, this could be the biggest form of avoidance behavior on the planet. I'm struggling through the wip. I love the idea, love the characters, but this book is KILLING me. It's much more complicated than anything else I've ever written, bigger all around. At times I have these thoughts I should shelve it and work on it when I'm a better writer. And then I tell myself writing it will MAKE me a better writer. Such a conundrum.

My agent probably thinks I am the slowest writer on the planet. At this point, she's not far off the mark.

And yet...this new paranormal idea continues to percolate in my head...

Anyone ever go through a similar situation? Are you writing in two genres or do you primarily stick with one?

Labels:

13Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

That depends on what you call two genres! LOL I write western historical, but I have a western contemporary coming out in the fall, and I have the start of a paranormal historical trilogy written. And I have had some thoughts of a contemporary mystery brewing, but I'm also thinking I might just stick with the western mystery series I've been contemplating.

Does that sound like someone who doesn't know where they should be?? LOL

Finish what you are working on and then write the story that is pulling at you the hardest. That way you will give it your all. And if it doesn't happen to be what your agent thinks is best for you, shelf it, because when you are a big name, they'll buy anything you write!

7:42 AM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

I write both contemporary and YA--however, I'm trying really hard to stick to mainly these two genres. And yes, somehow I almost always get my BEST ideas for new books-series even--when I'm in the middle of a tough part of my WIP. Grass is greener syndrome. There is no reason why you couldn't do a paranormal, especially if you made it very heavy on the suspense--that would be keeping with your "brand." Most NYT bestsellers have evolved their brand over time--years writing historicals, then some RS, then some paranormal, back to their historical roots, straight contemporaries linking to other books etc. You've got plenty of room to explore!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I write two genres. And I sometimes get great ideas for books outside those two genres, which I note down and then ignore. Maybe if I do that long enough, they'll go away and bug someone else :) .

8:38 AM  
Blogger Sparky Duck said...

write it down so you don't lose the idea and come back to it when you want to

8:39 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL, Paty. Kinda.

My plan is to finish what I'm working on, and I did write down the idea so I don't forget it.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Grass is greener syndrome, Wavy. Yeah, that's totally what this is.

I'll eventually run it by my agent. Just not yet. :) Thanks for the tips.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL, Michelle. I don't want someone else to get this idea. ;)

I've always loved light paranormal. That's what this would be - to an extent. We'll see what happens.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Great tip, Sparky. That's just what I did. Thanks for stopping by.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Karmela said...

Hey E, I tried emailing you today but I address I have bounced. You mind dropping me an email when you have a moment? Thanks!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

I agree with Sparky -- write it down!!

And you can SOOOOO write both RS and paranoromal. As you said it will have romance and there will always be murder and mayhem -- you've just described a paranormal romantic suspense.

Write what you were meant to write and cross the branding bridge when you come to it.

9:22 PM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

I write in two genrea... I love YA but I also love HQ categories. It's a childhood thing. Of course, I haven't sold a book yet...
LOL
Teri

5:57 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Good advice, J. (as always!)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

As you know, I write contemporary category, but I also write what I call 'alternate reality paranormal romance.'

Here lately, I have the same problem as you - love the paranormal stuff. It's just so dang FUN to write. And since it's steamy too, I think I'll give it another whirl.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com