Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Monday, February 12, 2007 :~:

Movies Ruined

DH and I watched The Punisher last night - a movie from 2004 starring Thomas Jane and John Travolta based on the comic book series. I'd never seen it before, didn't have a clue what it was about. Anyway, we sat down, the movie starts...for those of you who haven't seen it, the hero is an undercover FBI agent and in the opening scene an arms-smuggling bust goes down and he's shot and presumably killed. Turns out, he wasn't, his death was faked, and he's retiring from undercover work and moving his family to London where he's planning to take a safe desk job and finally be a family man. Hooked me right away. I thought, cool opening. John Travolta is the twisted father of one of the men killed in that bust, and he's out for revenge, tracks down Jane and vows to avenge his son's death.

So the movie starts, the hero goes home, is all lovey-dovey with his wife and son and tells them this time, their life will be different. DH and I are watching, and I say to him, "Oh, you just know the wife and kid are going to get whacked. The title The Punisher tells you all you need to know. He's got to be out for revenge." And DH (who also knew nothing about this movie) says, "No, Travolta's out for revenge. They wouldn't kill the wife and kid like that." Guess who was right? Me! (Of course).

I find this happens more and more as I write suspense. Movie twists are ruined for me because as I'm watching, I'm looking for the twists you wouldn't expect or that one element that haunts a character and gives them the motivation they need. In a movie - like this one - they generally show that defining moment, and it usually happens at the beginning of the film. But in books, that tortured backstory is woven through the story and revealed piece by piece, adding, in my opinion, more suspense and drama.

The Punisher went downhill from there. Lots of fighting and gruesome details, but then that's what the comic book was all about. I still think the opening was great though...the story could have gone in any direction from that point.

Do you find yourself looking for twists in movies? Or are you able to watch them without anticipating what will happen next?

Labels:

10Comments:

Blogger Elisa said...

I definitely find myself looking for twists, and it ruins a lot of movies for me. Worse, my oldest son is now doing the same thing. LOL We have a game we play where we see who can figure out what's going to happen first. My other two children really don't find this very amusing. *g*

10:05 AM  
Blogger Joan Swan said...

I absolutely can't watch a movie without anticipating twists. But it doesn't ruin the show for me. It's more of a "can't wait to see how he handles that" kind of thing. When it's done in an ordinary way, i'm disappointed. When it's done creatively, I'm pleased.

After all, there are only so many plots, right? It's all about the creative execution.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

This happens to me all the time. Not only in movies, in books too. I start reading, and the first chapter, I'll know who the killer is. I haven't kept track, but I'm right about 98% of the time. I love it when a book or movie surprises me. And when there are no surprises, it does tarnish it for me.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

ROFL, Elisa. How old is your oldest?

8:09 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

True, J. It is all about the creative execution. That's why we read the same sort of plots over and over.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow, you're good, Edie!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Elisa said...

Elisabeth--he's 12, and will be turning the dreaded 13 in May.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Elisabeth:
I ruin every movie for myself. My husband HATES me. I figured out Crying Game (Adam's apple, come on!). Sixth Sense. Whatever. Just find I think like a writer and anticipate it all. I nearly always know whodunnit. I can't help it!
:-)
E

6:54 AM  
Blogger Michelle Diener said...

I do usually work it out, but it doesn't ruin it for me unless the way I imagined it is better than the way it is actually done. I love it when they set something up and do justice to it.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

I didn't guess the Sixth Sense end. Erica is better at this than I am.*g*

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com