Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Thursday, January 11, 2007 :~:

Question

I spent all afternoon brainstorming a new book with my uber-cool mentor who, surprisingly, doesn't think I'm nuts after she heard the twisted idea I'd come up with. (DH, on the other hand, cringes any time I bring it up.) I'm not going to tell you the idea - it is still in the brainstorming stage - but I have a question for you. What do you think of books with pregnant heroines? This is a single title RS, and while I've seen pregnant heroines in category books and ST contemporaries, I can't remember the last time I read a ST RS with a pregnant heroine. Her pregnancy is pretty central to the plot, however, I could possibly write it without her being pregnant. It just wouldn't be quite as "personal".

So...thoughts? How do you all feel about pregnant heroines? (And no, this isn't one of those - I'm pregnant, I need to find a man to be a stand-in father and take care of me and my baby books. My heroines are all self -sufficient.)

13Comments:

Blogger MJFredrick said...

I don't usually like pregnant heroines, but I do like how a hero can fall in love with a woman carrying another man's child. THAT I like.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... It's so hard to know until I read the actual story. I mean, most of the time I hate the thought of a pregnant heroine. I've had too many kids to find it romantic and fun. And I don't want anything bad to ever happen to children, born and unborn, so I tend to shy away from anything that may involve a child ending up hurt, neglected or scared, etc.

But you always have great premises and your novels are terrific, so, I'm positive if you write it, I'll like it. Well, that is if it's not dark like the one I won't read. LOL

How's that for wishy-washy?

Go for it. What can it hurt?

Editors are always saying do something different and fresh.

Good luck and have fun!

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a pregnant heroine ups the stakes, but then I would because in the book I finished last year (a fantasy) during my third set of revisions I decided to make the heroine pregnant. She's raped at the beginning of the book and I realized that her being pregnant was the final piece of conflict the book needed. Needless to say, it also wasn't a 'I need a man to take care of me' thing. And she's only 2 months pregnant and the book covers less than a month of time, so it was more an added element for the heroine to consider, no one else knows she is pregnant until the end, when she admits it. So go for it, I say! And I'll also add that I got a lot of interest from agents and editors with this book (there is in fact STILL interest in it) and not once has anyone said, I'd have loved it a lot more if the heroine wasn't pregnant. So go for it!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

My second trilogy book has a pregnant heroine and it is relevant to the whole premise.

I think if you can pull it off, it will be a new unique selling point.

3:18 PM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

Blogger ate my comment yesterday. Grrrrrr.

I prefer books where the baby is either the hero's and something's keeping them apart or she's a single-mother-by choice. Nine months is a pretty short time to grieve as a widow or recent ex.

Lori Foster's Unexpected is a RS with a pregnancy. My WIP also has a preg but it's romantic comedy

8:44 AM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

I like the idea. It's different and real and can lend some real comedy. In Judith Krantz' Scruples, One of the heroines friends is pregnant and they decide to find her a man. Very funny subplot and the guy is just enchanted by her pregnancy and wonders if he's a perv because he finds her stomach so lush, fertle and erotic. hee.
Teri

5:25 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

I tend to steer away from books with pregnant heroines, on the other hand-- if the premise is intriguing (and different) enough, I'd probably pick it up to give it a try.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Karmela said...

Is it a romance? If yes, is the hero the father of the baby?

Is it an action/adventure? If yes, how pregnant is she?

Lots of different ways you can go with this. I would answer your question with: MAYBE. It all depends on the execution, eh?

7:46 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Several RDIs have had pregnancies--including The New Lu and a couple of others I can recall. I'm convinced, like everything, it's all in the execution. I've had a book with transvestite best friends (RDI, Diary of a Blues Goddess), one which depicted a very adult and sexual gay romance between two men as the secondary plot (another RDI, Do They Wear High Heels in Heaven), and a MIRA title in which the heroine covered up her brother decapitating someone with a claw hammer--and never felt an ounce of guilt over it. Like I said . . . if you can make it work! :-) It all depends. I wouldn't be afraid of taking a risk.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Karmela said...

PS: Tons and TONS of Harlequin Presents have pregnant heroines. "FILL IN THE ALPHA HERO and His Pregnant Mistress" seems to be a staple in the titles. You're not writing a Presents by any chance, are ya? Cause you'll fit right in. Hehe...

The Billionaire Sheikh's Secret Pregnant Mistress!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

I thought the same thing as Michelle, that her pregnancy will up the stakes. It's not just her life, it's the baby's too. Go for it, Eli!

8:54 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

LOL, Karmela. Uh, no, that wasn't what I was going for. :) But I did get a chuckle out of it.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

All in how it's done, huh?

That seems to be the answer to every writing related question.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I zipped the idea off to my agent, so we'll see what she thinks of the whole pg heroine idea.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com