Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Monday, December 11, 2006 :~:

Never Fear, Underdog Is Here

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for a good underdog story. Rudy, The Natural, The Rookie, Old School, Eight Below - all are underdog stories of one kind or another. This weekend we saw Stranger Than Fiction, which, if you haven't seen it, I'm telling you to go watch. Writers will get a lot out of it most people won't, and there were some hilarious situations only a writer could appreciate. But at the heart of this movie, it's an underdog story - about one man who normally wouldn't have any reason to do something extraordinary in his life. You root for him, even though most days you probably wouldn't even notice him if he walked by you in a crowd.

I love underdog stories because they're inspiring. That's what most of my books are about - everyday people who are put in unique situations and find a part of themselves they didn't know existed. And watching underdog movies is always inspiring to me - the writer. Because it reminds me that persistence pays off, that dreams are important, that you can do whatever you want in this life if you work hard enough for it.

While at the theatre I saw the trailer for the new Will Smith movie - The Pursuit of Happyness - another underdog story. I'm looking forward to that one as well.

What are your favorite underdog stories - books or movies?

13Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

I love the original Rocky. Actually, I liked most of the others, too, but the original is an awesome underdog story.

5:13 PM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

My all time favorite underdog movie is Major League. Cheesy, yes. Classic, though. Underdog books? Too numerous to mention--most great books (IMHO) are essentially underdog stories to one extent or another. I also love underdog characters in non-underdog stories--Albert in Hitch, Ross on Friends, Sucre on Prison Break, Chloe on Smallville.

10:10 AM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

I must go see stranger than Fiction.Dh would like to go see the Will Smith movie, but I have learned from experience not to take him to movies that might make him cry:)
Teri

10:19 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Ah, Christine. Rocky is definitely an underdog story. I liked tha tone too.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wavy - I loved Major League! (I love all baseball movies, really.) And Ross is your quintessential underdog character. *sigh* I miss Friends.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Aw, Teri. What a sweet DH you have. Yes, you have to go see Stranger Than Fiction.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

I don't watch enough movies.... I can't think of any because it has been so long since I've watched anything. How about Aladdin??? The grandkids watched it over and over again while they were here. Only he had the help of a genie so that probably doesn't work. Hmmm...

Can't think of any.

As for books - Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer comes to mind. Sorry, I just have never thought of underdog stories, just good stories.

Now you all think I'm a total flake because I don't analyze the books and movies I read and see! LOL

I know, how could I possibly be a writer! I just go from the gut and write, I don't analyze everything about it. Over analyzing tends to throw me in a tither and I can't write anything!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

I loved the "flours" part, Piper. My DH didn't get it at first (LOL). He leaned over and said, "He brought her flower seeds in soil-filled paper bags?"

9:04 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Paty, it's been ages since I read Morning Glory, but I remember really liking it. I may have to dig that one out and give it another read.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

I loved Stranger than Fiction. My husband thought it was slow. :( I definitely plan to see Pursuit of Happyness.

As far as movies go, Good Will Hunting was a great underdog movie. The Fugitive. How about Sandra Bullock in most of her best movies? Two Weeks Notice, the Miss Congeniality movies, While You Were Sleeping...

4:59 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Edie, my hubby thought it was a bit slow too, but he liked it.

Great underdog story suggestions. :)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

I was going to say While You Were Sleeping, but I couldn't remember the name of the movie, only that Sandra Bullock was in it! LOL

My Christmas present to myself will be to see Stranger Than Fiction! It will be the first movie I've been too in 6 years!

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love underdogs too. sometimes i feel like an underdog. a chihuahua. or a st. bernard. but definitely an UNDERdog.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com