Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 :~:

Things I've Learned

(As I type this, my four-year old is singing an ode to his wonderful penis. The male fascination starts waaaaay too early...)

*Ahem*

Things I've Learned Since I Started Writing

1. Books are the greatest things on earth. I always knew that, I just didn't realize how fabulous they were until I saw what went in to churning one out.
2. Writers are the nicest people on the planet. Some of my closest friends are writers. I couldn't live without them.
3. My writer's group rocks!
4. Writing is damn hard. If it were easy, none of us would be doing it.
5. It doesn't matter how many words I type in a day, my story is constantly churning in my head, and that's progress.
6. Every word I type gets me closer to my goal. And every time I sit down to write, I'm getting better at what I'm doing.
7. I could easily waste a whole day blog-hopping and reading loops.
8. Sincerity shines through.
9. Writers who brag about their successes rub me the wrong way, but writers who are honest and helpful are gems to be cherished.
10. Published authors really do want to pass on their knowledge and help unpubs.
11. Be careful what you say and type - someone is always listening (and reading).
12. Writers are - first and foremost - readers. They'll be the first ones to buy your books, the ones who'll spread your name like wildfire. Be kind to them.
13. Having a mentor who believes in you is uber-important.
14. There's a business side to writing I know very little about. But I'm learning.
15. My critique partners are gold!
16. Every time I'm sure I've written pure crap, someone tells me it's good. (And vice versa)
And finally...
17. I will never stop learning. No matter what, I'll never know-it-all. And that's a good thing.

What have you learned since you started writing?

11Comments:

Blogger Lisa Pulliam said...

Great post! I think you've covered just about everything. The only thing I'd add (I don't know if it counts as something I learned though) is that I finally feel like I've found what I'm supposed to spend my life doing. Everything else I've done I've wondered what else I could be doing. But writing just feels right.

3:58 PM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

You've learned a lot. That's awesome!
teri

6:20 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

I've learned there is nothing like the community of romance writers.

That you have to put yourself out there to write a good book.

And no matter what the trend - writer what excites you.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Oh! And I agree with all you said as well! :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oooh. Great addition, Lisa!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

*Write what excites you.*

Yeah, Paty, that's an important one. If your heart's not in it, it'll show in your writing.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Big hug right back at ya, Piper. ;) There's definitely a special camaraderie amongst writers I haven't seen anywhere else. Maybe because we're all not in it for the money - we're in it because we love it so much, and that shines through.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Edie Ramer said...

Great post! Karin's addition is another good one. Instead of doing what she said, I've been doing #7 tonight. I must stop that!

Tomorrow. Tonight I have a few other blogs to check. *g*

8:40 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Oh, Geez. Nice one, Karin.

*says she who has been avoiding the WIP all night long*

Think it's time I slinked back to work...

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've learned that when I force myself to sit down and write, what I write is just as good as when I skip happily to my laptop and can't wait to get cracking.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Wow, great point, Michelle!

Actually, I'd go a step further and say when I force myself to write, usually it's better than when I skip happily to the laptop. Hmmm...I'd never thought of that before. I wonder why that is?

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com