Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Sunday, June 04, 2006 :~:

So, So, Sowing...

My Gremlins have been on me the past few years to plant a garden. As my husband will attest though, I have a brown thumb. Every living plant I've come in contact with has died a terrible death. I killed two ficus trees this past winter, destroyed a Christmas cactus and recently let two big beautiful boxwood in planters on my deck turn a golden shade of brown. The plants that hang on are doomed a terrible fate. They get watered when they limp over like decrepid old men. I can admit I hate to weed. Deadheading is a chore I abhore. And in the heat of summer, when the deck is baking, it's way more appealing to stay in my cool house than remember to step outside with the hose and give my struggling plants a needed drink.

I've balked at the garden idea for a long time, partly because having grown up in the country, I remember the hours my mother spent tending to her garden. I don't have the time or patience or even a smattering of desire to do the same. Part of me just doesn't want the responsibility of killing more than my fair share of plants. So I've been more than thrilled with the reality that we haven't had anywhere on our lot to put even a small garden for the kids.

Not so this year.

In February we had a series of wind storms and as a result lost a beloved 30'-wide Deodora cedar in the corner of our property. I loved that tree, cried when we had to have it taken down. What we were left with was a huge hole in our landscaping. DH has since replanted another, young (read: ity-bity) Deodora, and now (much to my chagrin) we have a big blank space, just perfect for - you guessed it - a garden.

So, today, DH and I were out there building a raised garden bed for the Gremlins. Hours in the sun, raking and digging and planting. I'm completely convinced we planted everything way too close together and within a matter of weeks (assuming I remember to water) we're going to have a jungle of vegetables. The kids are thrilled. I'm looking at it thinking: this is the bane of my existence.

However, there is a small bit of irony at play here. As I was reading the directions on the seed packets, I noticed several said to thin the struggling plants once the shoots cut through the earth. Keep the strong ones, lose the weak ones. And I realized that's what I've been doing the past few weeks. I haven't been writing. I've been playing with storylines and plots in my mind, trying to see which one will be my next WIP. I've been busy - painting and redecorating our master bedroom (and now gardening) - but I've also been sowing my stories, trying to see which one will take the lead and shoot upward. I can't say with 100% accuracy I know yet which direction I'm taking (I'm not done painting yet), but I can say I have a much stronger direction.

We'll have to see what grows in my garden and my laptop in the weeks to come.

Now on to a few housekeeping things...

For those of you who don't know, Mondays are my day to post over at Romance Worth Killing For. My post is already up (imagine, I'm early this week!). Also, we're hosting a weekly contest over there and this week's prize is a harcopy of Sandra Brown's The Alibi. All you have to do is comment to any post during the week to be entered into the drawing, so head over!

Also, in case you missed it, Allison Brennan gave a great interview at Writer Unboxed this past week. It's a three-part interview, worth skimming back through. I love Allison's interviews because she's always so forthecoming and honest with her answers. And she's a wonderful inspiration for all of us still struggling toward that first sale.

And for those of you interested in contests, Karin Tabke had a few things to say about them last Friday at Murder She Writes. Worth looking at if you're thinking about entering or are currently trying to interpret those elusive comments.

2Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

LOL. I abhor gardens. I spent way too many hours as a child weeding. We had a huge one. My mom and grandmother canned everything! I had the supreme duty of husking, hulling, and cutting the vegies that were canned.

I don't can and I don't garden. Now both my younger daughter loves to can and my oldest daughter plants a garden every year. Christy would if she had a place to put one. I think the canning, gardining bug must have skipped a generation!

Have fun gardening and sowing those writing seeds!

I can't wait to get MIP done so I can get back to the second paranormal.

8:34 PM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

Good luck with your garden. I, too, spent long hours in my parents garden. Love the produce hate the work. Would rather go to the farmer's market! Now I am beset by flowerbeds. So many and so big I can't even count. And yeah, the weeds. OMG! I was raised in central oregon and nothing prepared me for the verdant growth of western Oregon weeds. Sniff.
Teri

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com