Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Friday, February 17, 2006 :~:

Pushing Yourself

I'm taking this new workout class called Group Power at my health club. Basically, it's set up like your typical aerobics class, but it's all weight lifting. You have a bar and weights, and an instructor up on a stage shouting orders through a microphone attached to her face. And it's all set to music. So you do one muscle group to one track...for example squats (oooh. I hate squats!) for 5.5 min, thereby working every major muscle group in your body in one hour. The idea is mid weights with high reps to tone instead of bulk.

Okay, that's the idea.

So, I've been taking this class three times per week for the past three weeks, and I gotta say. It. Is. Kicking. My. Ass. Nevermind that I've been working out hard five times per week since Christmas. Basically I'm coming off two yrs of not working out - being pg and sluggish, and a post-pg year where I thought I'd just rebound like I did with my other two pregnancies. Ah. No one told me being in your 30's changes your body FOREVER!

*sigh*

There is a point here, don't worry.

So, like I said, it's now been three weeks and I've decided I really dislike my instructor. She's blonde and thin and strong and smiles ALL the time. (I think there's something wrong with her face.) She looks like she's about 25 - perfect, perky, all those things those of us who AREN'T 25 hate. So as I sweat and frown and growl through clenched teeth as I'm lifting and she's yelling at us to "PUSH YOURSELVES!", I look at her and think, if I were 25 and single and had no kids, I could look like that, too. It's immature, but it gets me through the hour without wanting to scream.

Of course, that was before I learned she has three kids ages 10, 8, and 5. That she's been married for fourteen years. That her husband is an FBI agent and often travels so she does the single mom thing a lot.

As you can guess, all my preconceived ideas were squashed with that information. And now instead of being irritated by her, I'm more awed at what she's able to do. (Of course, I still think there's something wrong with her face because she really does smile all the time, even when she's killing us. Maybe she's masochistic? As one guy said to me after class the other day, "It's like being in boot camp all over again, except the drill sergeant SMILES at you.").

Today while in class, that little tidbit of info got me thinking about this whole writing gig (see, told ya there was a point to all this). All those excuses I lump on myself about why I'm not getting things done in a timely fashion are bogus. Yeah, I have three kids. And yeah, they're young. But a lot of successful authors have young kids. A lot have more than three. And a lot have gone on to do amazing things. It's the same if you're working full time or do the single mom thing. If writing's what you want to do but you're making excuses about not getting it done, then you're not really pushing yourself to be all you can.

So, I pushed myself a little harder in class today. And I'm sore and tired, but I know in the not-too-distant future, it's going to pay off. Just like the writing.

Soon.

If I keep pushing, it'll happen soon.

3Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Actually, no . . . just go write, Piper!!!! :) (I don't know how to make a big grin, but that's what it's supposed to be. LOL)

10:03 PM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

"Little Miss Positive" :) Love it. You are definetely my hero for the day :) And it will happen for you :) It IS happening for you, Miss Big Contest Winner :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Everything you do in life is a lesson that confirms other aspects of your life.

Keep on pumping iron and pumping prose. You'll feel 150% better about both. And you'll see that people who aim for their goals (writing or whatever) can only acheive them by taking the steps that will get them there.

So Piper pump out those 3 pages for the critique meeting, and Eli I want to see your six pack at the next meeting! LOL

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com