Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Friday, February 24, 2006 :~:

Firsts

In case you missed it, this week the girls over at Murder She Writes have been blogging about their first books. Not necessarily their first published books, but the first books they wrote. It's been a hoot to read...and very interesting.

The general concensus seems to be most authors sell their 4th or 5th book. Why that is, I'm not entirely sure, although I'd bet it has something to do with practicing your craft enough so it finally hits home. (BTW one girl at MSW did sell her first completed ms. And we struggling writers all hate her! LOL - just kidding.) For me, that's encouraging news because I am right now working on book #5. And while I don't want to jinx myself, I can sorta see the theory behind the 5th book idea. My writing is better with this one. My characters are deeper, and (most importantly to me) the words flow onto the page easier.

Book #4 was tough for me to write. I loved the characters, like the plot, but I had trouble with it. It's much darker than anything else I've written. And it took me six months to get it done. Now, part of that could be the fact I had a newborn in the house, but six months is a long time for me. Book #5 just seems to be going so much smoother.

Does that mean I've finally found my voice? I have no clue. That word is tossed around so much, I'm not entirely sure what it means. At my RWA meeting last week, a fellow writer complimented our new blog at Romance Worth Killing For. She said she'd read the first line of the post up that day and immediately said to herself, "This has GOT to be Elisabeth." So she scrolled down to find out who had posted, and sure enough, it was me. Obviously, that means my blogging voice is in line with my normal voice. But does that mean I've finally found my writing voice? I'm not sure. I do know this much though, if my writing voice is finally melding with my natural snarkastic voice, then yeah, maybe I have found it. And maybe that's what people mean when they say it takes you 4-5 books to really find it and work with it.

Tomorrow I may have a different view, but today that sounds pretty good. ;)

I could go in line with the girls at Murder She Writes and tell you about my first book - *SHUDDER* - but I'll save you from that horror. Let's just say I've come a long, LONG way.

Have YOU found your voice? If so...how long did it take you? Or are you still searching?

3Comments:

Blogger MJFredrick said...

4th or 5th, huh?

I'm a loser ;)

3:36 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

What does that say for me I'm on books 8 and 9 and still not sold! I was told several books ago I have a very strong voice. I'm still trying to figure out what it is that is keeping me from selling. the last concensus was not enough editing and digging deeper for words. Sooo, now I am scrutinizing everything I write over and over again.LOL

6:16 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

Well, girls. I didn't say all authors sell their 4th or 5th books, just that that was the pattern at MSW. ;)

And Mary, you have an agent, so you're light years ahead of me.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com