Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Thursday, November 17, 2005 :~:

Gearing Up

So I'm printing my GH entry as I blog. And I'm looking at it thinking, this is a really dumb idea.

Fifty bucks.

Fifty bucks to throw your manuscript at the wall and see if it sticks. To wonder if other writers will think it's even any good. To wait until March to see if you finaled, then sit in agony the day the loops are filled with "I got the call!" posts as you continue to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And then when you're convinced you aren't going to be one of the lucky ones, you wait some more for your scores to arrive in the mail so you can be thoroughly depressed when they're all over the map.

Because they're just scores. 1-10. And decimals, even! No feedback. And no scoring guide. So you have no idea why you got a five or what the freak a five even means!

Argh.

Of course, there is always that fantasy that you'll final. That you'll get to dress to the nines for the awards ceremony the last day of Nationals. That you'll be invited to the finalist parties, that people will look at your GH Finalist ribbon with envy. That you, of all people, will hear your name called and get to walk across that stage and show the world what a wonderful writer you are.

That's the fantasy. That's the reason we keep entering even though its a crap-shoot and most of us know our odds of winning the lottery are probably better than finaling in the GH.

But we do it anyway.

Because there's always that uncertainty hanging out there...

What if...

3Comments:

Blogger TJ Brown said...

Snort. Cackle.

Just what I needed to hear the day I print off ny GH entry!

But you're right. Fifty bucks. What was I thinking?
Teri

6:42 AM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

The good thing is you have a lot of other people to commiserate with while we wait! LOL

It is the fantasy of walking across the stage that got me to write that check. If I hadn't sat in the audience in July and watched the thing I probably would have blown it off again this year. But no - I had to picture myself getting that darn Golden Heart- and wanting it more than anything I've ever wanted before. And hoping, if I do, it puts me one step closer to my ultimate goal. Publication.

We are romance writers, and therefore, dream of that happy ending!

Good Luck! I'm glad I'm not in the same category as you!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

Dang, girl! I was so excited about entering this year for the first time...until I read this! Still, you're right. We enter for the dream. I'm not even thinking about finaling let alone winning, but just taking the plunge to enter is huge for me. I feel like I've taken my writing and myself to a new level. Ans as for the fifty bucks, well, it's only 2 other contests that I can't enter, which is probably good since my current manuscript is in 3 contests right now and I won't be entering anything with the new WIP for at least a couple of months. You'll have plenty of people to commiserate with when the scores for GH come back. Don't you worry. I'm there for you! (Or maybe, just maybe you'll advance to the final round?!?!) Dream big. Why not?

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com