Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Sunday, September 18, 2005 :~:

Comfort Zones

In contemplating the next book, one phrase keeps replaying through my mind.

Write what you know.

We've all heard it, but how accurate is it? If you write about what you know, what keeps you going? For me, part of the excitement of writing is learning about things I want to know. So a more accurate phrase for me would be, Write what you WANT to know. There are thousands of things I want to know, and because I'm a science nerd, they all tend to circle back around to some scientific topic or theme....archaeology, geology, medicine, and on and on.

My comfort zone includes anything scientific. The heroine in my WIP is a science teacher. I've included lots of little scientific facts here and there, and while most of them in this book don't require a lot of research on my part (in this case I'm definitely writing about what I know), I'm still having fun looking things up and refreshing my memory from my teaching days. But I also stepped out of my comfort zone and added in a cop this time, which I generally steer clear of. Why do I steer clear of cops, you might ask? Because I don't have any desire to learn about cops. I know I am law enforcement illiterate. There are lots of good cop-writers out there, and I'm smart enough to know I'm not one of them. I know nothing about procedure and rank and crime scene processing. And you know what I've learned? While I enjoy reading cop dramas, I have no desire to write them myself. My CP's keep pointing out, "um...a police officer wouldn't do or say this." And all I can say in response is, thank God for CP's! Because once this book is done, I'm not writing about another cop for a loooong time.

I don't generally write about cops for the same reason I don't write about lawyers or aliens or the Regency period. They're all out of my comfort zone, I have no desire to research them, and writing about them causes more angst than they're worth.

Hence, I will listen to the phrase, Don't write about what you DON'T want to know. Because it will give you fits.

Of course, this may come back to bite me in the ass. My CP's both write about cops, and they're agented. I am not. Most of what you see on the bookstore shelves include cop or FBI dramas. Just look at what's popular these days on TV...Law and Order, The Shield, CSI...all cop dramas. Does little ol' scientific-topic RS writer over here in the corner stand a chance? I hope so. I like to think people want to read about things other than just cop dramas. Not everyone likes prime rib every night, all the time. Maybe I can be the rack of lamb they order once in a while, as a special treat. :)

So what is your comfort zone? What do you write about and why? And is there anything you don't want to write about?

3Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

For the last year, year and a half I steered clear of writing anything with military heroes simply because I know next to nothing about the military. Plus, I didn't know anyone in the military, I'm too uncomfortable asking a recruiter and the manuscripts I did try to write with military heroes were HORRIBLE!

But, I always love reading about military heroes and just in the last month I've listened to my current hero and accepted the fact that he is military and I just had to deal with it. So, I'm back on the horse, so to speak.

Out of my comfort zone, but just barely out of reach. (Kinda like my zone of proximal development!)

I steer clear of science related themes and ideas because science and I do not mix well. Other than that, I can't think of anymore. Although, I'm sure there are TONS of topics outside of my comfort zone that I have no desire to investigate.

8:20 PM  
Blogger chanceofbooks said...

My "comfort zone" = Lawyers (obviously), law enforcement (to a certain degree), medical/science stuff, teaching/education, politics, kids & pets.

Outside my comfort zone: Exotic Travel (anyone who would like to remedy the fact that Canada is as close as I have come to needing a passport, feel free to send me tickets), Mythology, Paranormal, Luxury/Rich living (Ditto to Travel), horses (although I already know I will have horses in at least a couple of books . . .). . . Certain history periods don't interest me at all, even though I like READING about them--no desire to research Regencies :P

9:42 PM  
Blogger Paty Jager said...

Out of my comfort zone?? Anything techie, big city, or scientific! And I stay clear of all of those! I'm more comfortable in the 1700 and 1800's! But only in America! Put me on any other continent and I feel like I'm in outerspace.

But, I have been seriously thinking about a story set in Holland during WWII. My father -in -law has told stories of his father stealing vegetables and milk for the people of their town so they would have something to eat. The Germans would take everything and leave the people of the town without. His father was caught twice and escaped back to the town to steal again. Kind of like Robin Hood. That is a story I want to write that is out of my comfort zone.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com