Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Thursday, August 25, 2005 :~:

The Office

See ya, babe! I'm off to the office.

A full day of work looms ahead of me - eight hours with the WIP, full steam ahead. No interruptions, just me and my muse, the computer, a few research books and a gallon of coffee (with half-n-half and splenda, of course).

Yeah, right. In my dreams.

My 'office' is a spot on the living room couch with my laptop perched on my knees, research books scattered across the coffee table and floor, and my half-empty cup of cold coffee on a coaster (okay, generally NOT on a coaster) on the table in front of me. More often than not, the older two kids are bopping in and out or screaming in a nearby room, and the baby is at my feet playing on the floor.

Eight full hours of writing, uninterrupted???? I don't know what I would do with myself!!!

I have learned to be quite prolific amidst general chaos. So much so that in the evenings when the kids have finally gone to sleep and the DH is in the great room watching his gigantosaurus TV, I'm sometimes at a loss. I can write 5 pgs during the day here and there, but give me a couple hours of complete silence and I freeze up. (IM doesn't always help. LOL Although it's great for brainstorming!)

I often wonder if I would be more productive if I had my own "space". We have an office, but it's DH's office. And he has his own unique filing system where his work is generally laid out in feverish piles all over his desk. Do I want to move his laptop, clear a space and work in there? Uh...not. You never know what could crawl out from underneath that pile of clinicals. I find sitting on the couch is more comfortable, and it's easier for me to get up and down to deal with the next big trauma in the house if I'm actually IN the house and not hiding in the corner office. Of course, when I'm printing, working on queries or need to feel "official", I do work in there, but not all that much.

Do you have a set office where you write? Or are you like me...kinda all over the place and more? I sat in a workshop at Nationals - Writing Unforgettable Love Scenes with Christine Skye - and she addressed workspace briefly. She had a good trick for getting into her characters' heads...headphones. And not just any headphones, but those great big orange ones you can get at Home Depot to block out sound - the ones you see controllers wearing on the tarmack at the airport. Now there's an idea...I could block out my kids screaming. Oh wait....might not be the best idea. That could get me in some serious trouble.

Then she went on to talk about office space and got into a bunch of stuff I'm not sure I'm all that into. Like don't put your desk between the window and door because your creative energy will flow right out of the room. (huh?) Or don't put your desk in a place where your back is to the door because people can sneak up on you and you won't ever feel comfortable. Hmmm....not so sure about these. In Nora's chat she said her desk is against a window, she has a view of the woods...and yeah, her back is the to door. And I'd say that hasn't hampered her creative juices.

So where do you write? If you have an office, where's your desk? What time of the day are you most productive?

4Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm, my desk is in the corner of a back porch. full windows on 3 sides. I face the woods. It doesn't get much better than this. (except in the winter...it get COLD out there). Though even though I have a cool office, I love sitting on the couch or in bed with the laptop. Or in front of the fire...

5:19 PM  
Blogger Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Alison's blogging about office space, too. Y'all must be on the same wave length today.

I have my own little corner office and face the wall (or rather my computer screen). I never really notice the wall because of all the books covering the open shelves above.
I have two corner windows to my left, the door is behind me on the left and the laundry closet directly behind my desk. It can be hot or cool, depending on how long I have the dryer on. LOL
It's messy, but it's mine, and only my space. DH has his own space in the basement.
I also sit in the living room, on the bed and sometimes out on the deck. Just depends on my mood.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Lexi said...

The guest room is my office. Rarely are there any guests in the single bed. My desk is set up to face the wall (with a big corkboard & my awards on it) and I can see the door out of the corner of my eye. I'm most productive up here and late at night. Many times I'll still be awake typing when I should be sleeping and waiting for that alarm to go off. Then again, I don't have a hubby or kids, so I can literally be productive anywhere in the house!

8:04 PM  
Blogger TJ Brown said...

My office used to be in the same place as yours! Then I moved to the corner of the living room. Now I moved the diningroom table out and have taken over the dining room.Even bought myself a new spanky L shaped desk. I just needed the room.
:)
Teri

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com