Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Friday, August 19, 2005 :~:

Loops

The queen of procrastination can waste a whole day perusing writer loops. I'm sure I'm not the only one (gasp! I hope I'm not the only one). And to prove a point, I did just that today. (When I should have been working on chapter 19...grumble, grumble)

Now, I'm on several loops - so many that I can't even keep them all straight. I look at My Yahoo Groups link and my eyes cross. Among the many are my local RWA loop, the KOD loop, RWC, RWAPro loops (I think there are four), RWA loops (again, at least four), the RWAProNationals loop, AskAnAuthor (um, two maybe?), The Knight Agency loop, Romance Contests (had enough yet?)... I could go on and on (don't worry, I won't.)

And even though I'm on all these loops, how many am I really active in? One. Just my chapter loop, to be honest. I peruse the rest daily (along with several blogs I won't even mention here), but I'm very hesitant to jump right in and start offering advice. I was pretty active in the RWC loop way back when, but sort of dropped off as I was writing more and more. And now, I'm just not sure I have all that much to add to the conversations. It's not like I'm agented. It's not like I'm published. I haven't won ten-thousand contests, and I'm not the type of person to toot my own horn and brag about all my requests. And someone else will always offer the same comment I would have made, so what's the big deal?

The big deal is I miss the camaraderie. Especially from other writers. I posted a few times on the RWAProNational loop, but just didn't feel comfortable enough to get into it. And then I missed out on meeting some great women at Nationals who were all there. My own fault.

But since coming back from Nationals, I think I'm a bit more hesitant to jump in to all these other loops for one very big reason...people actually read all these posts!! I met lots of people whose names I recognize from these loops - some pubbed, some not, but it really made me sit up and think before I start shooting off my mouth and posting on loops that are basically, public domain.

So what's my point? Well, yesterday I read a post on a loop by an epubbed writer which grated on my nerves. It was an "I'm great because of this..." type post that had nothing to do with the question that was being asked. And it got me thinking. This particular writer is also active on a lot of the other loops I peruse, and it just reinforced to me how your image is so easily spread from place to place. How you put forth that image is what counts. And being nice and not know-it-all-ish on the loops is soooo important. This particular thread totally reinforced that to me.

Not sure if I'll jump back in on some of the loops or not. My mouth tends to get me in trouble when I get too involved in certain things, so for now, I'll probably keep my lips tightly shut and go on reading.

And procrastinating when I should be working on chapter 19...

5Comments:

Blogger Lexi said...

I forget which one, but a speaker at Nationals said that loops are the death of good writing!

11:32 PM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

I'm with Christine . . . I stay off all but one for a reason. I get sucked in and then don't get anything done.

So glad you're up to 19! WTG, E!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

I'm with you, girl! I rarely post any more. Even when I do blog and get the least bit political, I usually regret it, or there's suspiciously few (none)comments, which makes me wonder if I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Oh, well...

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good post! I think blogs are the same way. I have FOUND writers to try, and unpublished writers that I will go and buy their first book after reading their blogs. But I have also put a lot of people on my never buy again list. The know it all blogs. The abrasive blogs. The whiney blogs. (okay, we all occasionally whine...but you know what I mean).

I used to be active on a lot of lists. But you have to actively post to really get into them. I now just browse through them. Looking for market news, who is buying what. The KOD list has a lot of great info on it. The pros lists have been dead except for prosnational.

I confess to reading the RWA lists when some brouhaha is up. It's kind of like watching a train wreck, and it always amazes me the nasty things people will post for eternity.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth Naughton said...

So true, Kacey. I admit I got sucked into the post-national awards controversy on the RWAorg loop. Not that I would ever post about it, but it was interesting to see who would open their mouth and blurt out opinions. And it was like a train wreck...just couldn't pass without staring.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com