Coming Soon

Book 1 - Eternal Guardians
April 27, 2010
Photobucket
Book 2 - Eternal Guardians
July 27, 2010
Available Now
Photobucket
Book 3 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 2 in the Stolen Trilogy
Photobucket
Book 1 in the Stolen Trilogy
What's New
Read the Epilogue to
STOLEN FURY
Looking for your own exciting quest? Then don't miss my
Fortune & Glory Game
Partner up with a sexy treasure hunting guide and experience your own adventure!
Where You Can Find Me
My Website
Facebook
Myspace
GoodReads
FiledBy
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Rose City Romance Writers
The 007's - Nobody Writes It Better
Snapshots
Author Blogs
Vivi Anna
Ann Aguirre
Anya Bast
Allison Brennan
TJ Brown
Carol Burnside
Delilah Marvelle
Lexi Connor
Jodi Lynn Copeland
Bethany Cunningham
Lauren Dane
Michelle Diener
Karen Duvall
Cynthia Eden
Angie Fox
MJ Fredrick
Jenny Gilliam
Colleen Gleason
Megan Hart
Charlotte Hughes
Paty Jager
Karmela Johnson
Beth Kery
Terry McLaughlin
Trish Milburn/Tricia Mills
Edie Ramer
Marissa Scott
Alice Sharpe
Shelli Stevens
Juliana Stone
Joan Swan
Karin Tabke
Beth Williamson
Linda Winfree
Deborah Wright
Christina York
Group Author Blogs
The Bradford Bunch
The Goddess Blogs
The Graveyard Shift
Killer Fiction
Magical Musings
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Nobody Writes It Better
Something Wicked
Murder She Writes
Romance Bandits
Romancing The Blog
Rose City Romance Writers
WriteMinded
Industry Blogs
Romantic Reads
The Johnny Law Chronicles
Precinct Thirteen
The Knight Agency
Agent 007
Kristin Nelson
BookEnds Blog
Recommended Resources
Bradford Literary Agency
Charlotte Dillon
Joan Swan
Kiss of Death
Mid-Willamette Valley RWA
Romance Divas
Past Writings
Guests

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

:~: Monday, June 20, 2005 :~:

Old Manuscripts, Selling, and The One That Gets You There

Probably the one RWR article that gets me going is the First Sale column. I mean, come on, I hope to be there soon. So I'm always curious "who's" making it now. And while I'm usually excited to read it, I'm generally depressed after having done so.

So and so announces her first sale. This was the first manuscript she finished. She has been writing for one year.

Well, gee. That makes me feel spiffy.

So and so announces her first sale. This was the second manuscript she finished. She has been writing for twelve years.

Now here's where my brow creases and my eyes cross. Does that mean it took her twelve years to write two manuscripts? Or has she written umpteen-million manuscripts since and number two was the first that sold? I usually walk away from the First Sold column scratching my head for various reasons.

The topic of first sales and old manuscripts recently came up on the RWC list. And having read through most of the responses, I walked away with the feeling that moving ahead with new work is generally more productive than going back and reworking old manuscripts. Several published authors said they just "knew" when they had the manuscript that was "it". That they had found their voice and knew that was the one that would get them there.

But tell me this...how do you know when you have THE ONE?

I recently reworked an old manuscript. And while I dreaded it from the get-go, the rewrite went so much faster than I ever expected. Once I started writing, the flow was there, the characters came alive and the plot laid itself out for me. Does that mean I've found my voice? Who knows. I do like the result of that rewrite, and I've received great feedback from everyone who's read it. But does that mean it's THE ONE?

No clue. I'm only starting to query that manuscript now. Time will tell, I guess.

I also know my writing is better with my WIP than it was in my last few manuscripts. (If the big red marks from my cp's are any indication...I'm getting less and less of those with each crit. And damn it, I am learning how to use a comma correctly! LOL). The mechanics of writing are easier, the scenes pop into my head faster. But in the midst of the process, I often feel like I'm writing drivel. Only when a cp says, "no, this is good," do I think, "okay, maybe I'm starting to get it". But does that mean I've found my voice?

No clue. If anything, I think I'm only more confused.

2Comments:

Blogger Paty Jager said...

Hi Eli-
Well I shake my head too at the first sold column. and wonder what people will think when I say, this is my first sale after writing 8 books! But I know with each one, I learned a little more about craft, I dug a little deeper within myself and I keep thinking I found my voice. I knew the book three books ago was THE one! And now I hate it! There is too much that needs fixed in it. But the next to last one I felt flowed and the voice was well done. Several rejections and waiting to hear from some editors on it. This last one that I just finaled in a contest, has been the book of my heart! I love the characters, the setting, the story, the voice, but I am struggling to get it long enough!! And a book I thought I finished 4 books ago, I brought out fell in love with it all over again and am pushing it to and editor. So who knows!

I did get your e-mail about PSP having your manuscript. She has been in my top five Agent picks for a while. Has turned me down a few times. And I didn't even try to get her at Nationals because they didn't have Paranormal checked by her name! I guess I should have looked closer at who was judging this contest and I'd have known! LOL

Good luck to you with PSP. I've heard good things about her!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Linda Winfree said...

You are going to get it. You'll be in that first sales column, soon. I know it. I believe it, I have faith.

And that column drives me nuts, too.

Talking about having a MS that gave you "The One" feeling . . . I have one. And if I tell you which one it is, you'll ROFLYAO. ;-)

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Design by Elisabeth Naughton

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

This page is powered by Blogger. 

Isn't yours?
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com